Computer Video Game Recommendations

Yeah I still need to hunt down the secret language puzzle on my own lol I don’t like looking puzzles up especially on resident evil games and Silent hill games / on silent hill 3 you can set the puzzle difficulty to hard. XD

2 Likes

LOL this should keep you busy for the next 20 years!

3 Likes

god I always forget about the witness… such a mind blowing game, never quite had an experience like that before.

3 Likes

Metal Gear Sold series
Resident Evil series (the remakes are great as are the original 4)
Sekiro if you’re looking for a challenge, Same with bloodborne
The last of us

That’s basically all I’ve been playing recently, kinda comfort gaming I suppose. I usually love survival horror games, puzzlers, single play type things as I’m not a big FPS online gamer. Always been more a console gamer too, Nintendo and on to PlayStation.

3 Likes

Man we like the same games !

2 Likes

A bunch have been named already (Fez/Hyperlight Drifter/FTL) but Katana Zero/Dead Cells/Super Meat Boy are just endless fun.

If you like Metroidvanias I recommend Axiom Verge.

Some good FPSs: Battlefield 4/Arma 3/PUBG/Counter Strike

Forza 7 is pretty good, more sim like than usual.

Rocket League was mentioned too but that game is fun with friends! Highly recommend it.

Games that only work on PC (RTS):

StarCraft/Age of Empires/Ashes of the Singularity

There were some RTS ports for console but it’s not the same…

4 Likes

Man, when I did play pc games, it was Starcraft. Was obsessed with it when I was in high school. Used to play Civilisation 2, sim city, sim hospital and age of empires a lot too…oh and quake.

3 Likes

Yea man I love games with challenge/atmosphere and a campy plot is always a bonus. It’s a great time for survival horror type games, it’d be great if we got a Dino crisis remake.

2 Likes

Oh! Sim City/Roller Coaster Tycoon haha what fun times.

1 Like

Oh random thought but: factorio

Seriously addictive game…

It’s like a Sim City survival programming 4D chess game hahaha

4 Likes

super hot
super hot
super hot

8 Likes

seconding Factorio - most realistic with Xander mod, but harder
seconding Alien: Isolation
seconding Doom series:

Quake 1 (soundtrack by Nine Inch Nails) - Dark Places engine, HQ pack, then do Dimension of the Past 5th episode
Children of a Dead Earth
Kerbal Space Program (with Real Solar System & Realism Overhaul modpacks)
Samorost 3 (sound by Floex; worth every penny IMO; their Machinarium is good too)
Pollen
Half-Life: Black Mesa
Homeworld (remastered series can be had through GOG)
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 series
Space Engineers
Serious Sam
StarCraft 1 (if you can find it remastered; I know it exists)
Total Annihilation (remastered for Spring RTS engine, or Escalation)
Super Hot
Super Hot
Super Hot
Descent 1, 2 (with HQ mod? where?), 3, and maybe Freespace series with HQ mod too
Oxygen Not Included
Alpha Centauri (on a deep discount now)

Not 100% sure about (but nevertheless): No Man’s Sky Next (needs deserting/hardening mod); Hollow Knight; Diablo 1 (1 'cause atmosphere, but is there remastered HQ version?)
Do not, I repeat do NOT play Eve Online - it is so good, it is worse than crack, you’ll be dropped out of university, then loose your girlfriend, your wife and your job.

3 Likes

So many great games to play and most of my faves have already been mentioned. These two are a bit trippy, but really worth a play:
The Stanley Parable
Antichamber

2 Likes

Replayed Alien Isolation again recently on nightmare mode. Such an underrated title.

4 Likes

I have only played the Switch ports but I love Civilization VI + expansions, Divinity: Original Sin 2, and recently I’ve been digging Cities: Skylines.

I reeeally want to play Disco Elysium but I don’t have a PC so am waiting on the PS4 port.

2 Likes

don’t kill me but I’m wondering why everyone is so in love with the witness? I played about half of it and while some of the puzzles were very clever, I found it annoyingly pretentious and stopped when I hit a difficulty wall that was more related to graphical glitches (branches) than the game itself. is there some crazy switch up later on that I missed out on?

a clever puzzle game that I really enjoyed was Stephen Sausage Roll. nobody really talks about it but it really blew my mind. try not to look up any solutions, even if a level takes you days to solve.

1 Like

I tagged these with PC since that is my experience with them. May be on multiple platforms. Tried to make this short and diverse.

Single Player adventures, takes a while to finish:

*Yoku’s Island Express (PC 2019) (cute, colorful relaxed metroidvania with flipper mechanics)
*A Plague Tale : Innocence (PC 2019) (3rd person action/adventure: Great story, graphics, intense atmosphere)
*Yakuza 0 (PC 2018) (3rd person open world action adventure: Great wacky sense of humor, addictive, colorful, lot’s of fun minigames)
*Hellblade: Sennua’s Sacrifice (PC 2017) (3rd person psychological viking horror/slasher/puzzle: intense atmosphere, great graphics, character driven)

Single player games that can be finished quicker/won’t outstay their welcome:
*Donut County (PC 2018) (cute, indie, puzzle: can be finished within a few hours)
*Horizon Chase (PC 2018) (arcade racer with a retro flair)
*Thumper (PC 2016) (rhytm based psychedelic racer)

2 Likes

Knytt Underground

Guacamelee

Dustforce

2 Likes

Quake 3 Arena, the greatest PC game ever made, period.

8 Likes

Psychonauts
Planescape: Torment and other Infinity Engine games

4 Likes