Compressor hardware for M:S

Team Platform!

1 Like

I also highly recommend the Alesis Micro Limiter if you use your MS for more than just drums. After borrowing one from @tr909, I am a believer!

I just didnā€™t want to say so until I won this ebay auction over the weekend. Didnā€™t want to make my chances of winning at a fair price any more difficult. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

My budget idea was about 50ā‚¬ (or maybe near 100ā‚¬ if the stuff is great), thanks for all feedback anyways :grin:

If we talk about 200ā‚¬, 300ā‚¬ or higher then I would consider buying another kind of toy, not a compressor

What about a pedal like the BOSS CS-3?

Legowelt runs his TR-808 through one for ā€œsteamy, smudgety, lo-fi, pumping, jacking beats!ā€

(See page 2)

1 Like

Itā€™s obviousā€¦ octatrack!

I love the Deco. Makes everything sound great. Love the saturation and wobble

2 Likes

I recommend you skip the redundant D/A conversions and just use the class compliant USB on the m:s for recording your audio. Then use software compression to do compressing.

There are some decent freeware comps out there that cost 0$! Besides the price, you get advanced features such as filtered sidechaining, Mid-Side, wet/dry for easy, phase-aligned parallel compressionā€¦

youā€™d need to pay an arm and a leg for similar features in hardware land, and IMHO 2-bus compression without a HPF sidechain is a bad idea for most club music contexts anyways.

TL;DR - I dont recommend anyone to buy a HW compressor if theyā€™ve just started making music. Software is a much safer way to get started nerding out with comps

7 Likes

:ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

I am finally trying to play with Pulse Effects
Letā€™s see :slight_smile:

i second the alesis micro limter. super useful little beat up unit.
i can also vouch for the boss cs3 and the 3630 for that pumping breathing sound. as for a set it and forget it iā€™d recommend the alesis micro limiter or the rnc.

2 Likes

Though it is redundant Iā€™ll also recommend the micro-limiter. I like it more than my rnc and rnla

2 Likes

Iā€™ve looked this up before for my DT, but sold it and just bought a M:S. I didnā€™t like the compressor on the DT.

Used Alesis 3630. The famed ā€œDaft Punkā€ sidechain compressor. Usually like ā‚¬50 on ebay.
Personally Iā€™ll be getting the RNLA, vs RNCC. The RNLA has some color to it, while the RNC is crystal clear. Both are incredible value.

Re: BOSS CS-3 I mean itā€™s hard not to trust Legowelt, but in my experience Iā€™ve not been happy with Boss pedals sound overall. They all have aā€¦ tinny, metallic sound to em. I like warms like Strymon delivers.

If you just want color to your sound, you could consider getting something like an old Boss BX-8 or BX800 mixer, which would allow you get some warmth, crunch, lo-fi saturation on the sum, and still have channels left over for any other drum machine or synth you want. Itā€™s not compression but i mention it as some people simply want saturation and crunch when theyā€™re asking about compression.

1 Like

I have seen some cheap Alesis 3630 in eBay, just 25$
I have never used eBay before, but I am going to try :slight_smile:

theyā€™re a cult favorite, though many people say they degrade sound quite a bit on the way in. i suppose this is to be treated more as an effect than a healthy part of a signal chain :slight_smile:

iā€™d definitely take a look at the FMR RNC or RNLA. Check this thread:

But thatā€™s over 200ā‚¬
For that budget Iā€™d wait a little & buy a M:C (nothing to do with compression, I knowā€¦ itā€™s all about budget :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

hahaha well sure i mean thatā€™s not even apples and orangesā€¦ itā€™s like apples and 1983 Buick sedans.

1 Like

I hated the 3630, ended up giving mine away. It colored the sound way to heavily for me to use it. It was great for noise/chiptune stuff but I couldnā€™t handle how it made everything else sound.

Moved on to a FMR RNC and havenā€™t looked back.

1 Like