Complicated electronic music

Always happy to share weird stuff ! I actualy also like to make complicated electronic music and forgot to give any link to it so here you go:

4 Likes

Big fan as well.

He had a life before the moustache

1 Like

I had the chance to open for him in a small bar of my home town, around 2005, so pre-moustache. Such a nice guy !

2 Likes

Stockhausen’s last all-electronic piece:

2 Likes

Mark Fell is a legend. I wouldn’t even know where to begin with him. I love his music and he hugely inspires me with his writing and cultural analysis. He’s polarizing in ways I don’t really grok. Surely his Heidegger preoccupation could be read as problematic for cancel cops on the lookout for a target, but there’s much lower hanging fruit.

I saw him with his partner as SND in 2005 and it was one of the most thrilling sound experiences I’ve ever had. Such a weird tension with something that’s so brutally funky but also weird as shit, and this guy that kinda doesn’t want you to dance to it controlling the sounds. There was some incredibly creative and persistent dancing in the crowd as well. That really fills me with joy to think about.

1 Like
2 Likes

This is one of my favourite things on YouTube :blush:

2 Likes
1 Like

Why does this not have more views??

1 Like

I think it’s a breakbeat with a bit of swing

Civilization Phaze III … the culmination of Zappa’s work with computer music (the Synclavier)

1 Like

Wendy Carlos - Beauty in the Beast
Impossible to link to this music anywhere… if you get the chance to listen to this album, do. Basically a gold standard for microtonal electronic composition.

Easley Blackwood - Twelve Microtonal Etudes for Electonic Music Media
Another microtonal classic.

2 Likes

It’s funny that people still think that high bpm/busy music pieces are more complex. There is a certain arcane feel in using a tracker type sequencer with odd time signatures, arpeggios and happy accidents but common, just because is experimental it doesn’t make it complex.

2 Likes

I’m such a cheerleader; I just find myself nodding in agreement with every other post. Anyway, I somehow managed to find this on vinyl long ago, and I say that not for cool points, but just insofar that I can vouch for how much it rules. This has mind-bending harmonies, and probably the best synthesized gamelan ever.

2 Likes

I was about to post a link to this before I remembered that they actually played it live on real instruments, its astounding for the complexity of its simplicity

I can’t believe I forgot, and noone mentionned it/him…

complicated : check
electronic : check
polyrythms : check
polymeters : check
microtonal : check
fast shifting patterns : check
exhausting : check

Welcome to Egnamis !

3 Likes

This thread seems excellent opportunity to spread the word about John Wall, I think one of the great unsung electronic composers. Really singular style. Though I think would appeal to those into the more abstract autechre work, or anyone interested in visceral but often beautiful electronics edited and composed at a microscopic level.
Early work more based around processed samples, later more pure electronics (I think, its sometimes hard to unpack just by listening)
Thoroughly recommend checking out his whole back catalogue but this recent piece is a fave of mine

But I also love this one from 2001

5 Likes

Yes indeed !

It’s complicated.

1 Like

What qualities do you believe electronic music must posses in order to qualify as ‘complex’ or ‘complicated’?