Comping Machinedrum in Ableton

Hi!

I want to be able to comp different take of my Machinedrum together to create a full arrangement but I’m being hit by a hug snag. Every new recording I do varies a bit on the grid so the separate takes don’t align.

I’m recording through RME UCX II - and I have clocked the Machinedrum both with Ableton and with USAMO (which should give a steady clock) - still with no luck :frowning:

Anyone have experience with this?

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 08.46.47

My suggestion would be to use the 6 outs as 6 mono and record in one take.

For your problem: is also incoming transport activated on MD side?

You may already be aware of this, but make sure that you’re not auditioning the record track.

Set another track to monitor the ins than the track you’re recording into.

When i do otherwise, geez. So much weird latency.

4 Likes

Yes incoming transport is activated.

Regards to your suggestion - multitracking will not help. Let’s say I have a long build up - I might want to do several takes of this buildup to get the correct one. And the final take / or takes should have the same alignment on the grid as everything else. Otherwise the groove / rythm starts drifting

1 Like

I’m monitoring the input through the audio interface mixer - not through Live. But will double check if there is anything here

1 Like

I understand. I’m so used to unsynchronized recording that when I use Overbridge I’m thrilled everything is synchronized effortlessly ^^

I must admit that I am starting to really enjoy OB on the Analog and Digi devices…

3 Likes

Tonight I might try to do a jam - just recording all the midi into ableton and then using that for doing the final recording :frowning:

Noone else with tips?

Is the sequencer in the Machinedrum really so unstable that I can’t even consistently overlap two audio recordings (triggered start/stop via Midi and otherwise running on interanal clock of MD)

You zoomed all the way in, so the dots you see indicate sample points (afaik). The recordings are off only a few samples.

I zoomed in to make it easy to see. It is clearly audible when you play back the tracks at the same time

Is it latency or jitter? Or is it just the start of each loop is not consistent? If it’s the latter I’d try extending the loop out side what you want to record and and see if it rights itself when it gets to the bars you want.

If it’s jitter it could be the USMAO plug-in isn’t functioning properly . I,d check by recording the click stream and compare it with the results you’re getting back in. Also test with your system set to different sample rates and see if that make a difference.
Another thing you might test is using different volumes of the click stream - I use the Innerclock SyncGen pro and you have to dial in exactly the right gain, otherwise results aren’t as expected.

Keep in mind, the MD has one of the most unstable midi clock of any drum machine ever made (~2ms jitter) so results are never going to be perfect

1 Like

Sure, I get that. Just wanted to point out, that your recordings are off only a tiny amount, only a few samples.

Could be due to jitter, like @SpacesSound wrore.

1 Like

Record a short, percussive sound one bar before track starts… a guide pulse.
When you get the tracks recorded, simply line up the guide bursts.

It’s a minor hassle but sometimes the only way to get around this.

It could be as simple as using a GND-IMP machine on tick 1 of a pattern, start every recording with this pattern, then jump to the patterns you are recording.

3 Likes

do you absolutely need to use comping? i know it’s nice but the old school method of just recording long takes and chopping them up after works just as well for me.

You need a sync box in order to get close to what you are looking to do.

Also don’t monitor the audio in Ableton. Use your mixer for that.

And don’t have any plugins running in Ableton (except the sync plugin that comes with the hardware of course).

Don’t need to use comping - but even with long takes if the alignment isn’t the same then it’s a hassle to cut&paste :frowning:

I’m using a syncbox USAMO - only hardware monitoring and not plugins (except USAMO)

UPDATE: somehow manage to get it to work now in :man_shrugging: thanks for all the suggestions!

1 Like

do you have any plugins loaded in the set yet? Some plugins that report a non-zero delay compensation can result in Live doing the wrong thing sometimes when it records and then adjusts the timing of a track. I remember Izotope Ozone in particular, Live would do the wrong thing adjusting the time sometimes resulting in the track being 100ms out of sync. Bypassing the plugin isn’t good enough because Live will still use the delay compensation (so that if you enable the plugin there isn’t a weird jitter). The plugin has to be removed.

1 Like