Companion synth for AK

There have been threads about companion synths for the A4, but I’m looking for something that will actually fit on the right corner of the AK and has sufficient CV control.

I’ve thought of a few possibilities.

Doepfer Dark Energy
Make Noise O-Coast
MFB Nanozwerg
Doepfer Beauty Case with 32hp of modules
Plankton Ants - might fit, but slightly too wide

Any other suggestions?

1 Like

Mother 32?

i strongly advise the 0-coast… its insane what you can do with it

its like a whole other level… especially when you start routing the AK individual outputs through there as well

I dont own one but I plan on doing so ASAP

4 Likes

Lots of control, but a little too big to fit on the empty space on the AK.

I’m leaning strongly towards the 0-Coast, as it covers ground the Elektron engine can’t do as easily.

1 Like

Yeah hard to go past the 0-coast. Completely different sound and design to AK so should be a great combo

Another option is a crazy euro digital Wavetable oscillator stuffed into the 32hp case.
Send CV to it via AK then feed it into the AK inputs and control it with AK envelopes, filters, vca etc.
No other modules necessary this way.
Shapeshifter is my personal fav. Huge sound and a world away from the AK sound

2 Likes

Reaktor 6 + 84hp Eurorack (including Expert Sleepers ES6/3) + Analog Keys. That should do it. A nice hardware reverb unit could go on the space on top of the Keys.

Pretty sure max width is 32hp.
If we are talking a seperate case, jeez how long’s a piece of string :smiley:

I’m also thinking about a companion synth.

My ideas:
Moog Mother 32: For having the classic Moog sound
0-Coast: For crazy and/or non subtractive synth sounds
MFB Dominion Club: Check it out!! A Mini Dominion 1. Very awesome sound.

1 Like

well you’ve already got 4 anlog voices, why not throw a digital synth in the mix?

1 Like

I have a Shapeshifter in my main modular rack, with a Cirklon sequencing it. It’s an amazing module.

1 Like

I’m not dead set against a digital synth. But I can’t think of a small standalone digital synth with CV control, other than modular.

I have a Cirklon that sequences my modular rack and Dominion 1. I want something small that will allow me to use the CV track on my AK, which currently does nothing most of the time.

Roland System 1m, but wouldn’t fit I don’t think. And yes it looks terrible imo

1 Like

Speaking of Roland, don’t know how your going with effects but those Roland Aira modular effects units could be fun. Nice and compact, seem to sound pretty good and stacks of CV control.

1 Like

I had a System1m and sold it. Those Aira effects are a good idea though. I may have to pick one up.

an addition to to the very versatile AK would need to be quite special to stand out and offer some extra value
maybe an Macbeth Micromac or one of those Dreadbox synths
Ms20 or Odyssey too

1 Like

The extra value for me would be hands on control and a simpler synth architecture :slight_smile:

Scored a used 0-Coast that came with a set of stands that allow it to fit perfectly on the open space of the AK.

Elektron, I want a new 4 voice analog module with same components as A4/A4 to extend it’s poly to 8.

1 Like