Companion synth for A4

Is the PLUS the one with CV-ins ??? I’m searching this one sinds I use the A4 - Haven’t seen one yet :sob:

…[/quote]
[url=“http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_articles/feb96/waldorfpulse.html”]
Link to review of Waldorf Pulse

Link to review of Waldorf Pulse+

It seems to be an interesting synth - but only 1 CV-IN - Do you know how that can be useful ? Do you have one ? If so it would be very nice of you to explain around here how you use it …[/quote]
Yes I owned one but never used it with the A4 cv’s. I sold it to fund the DSI pro 2 but it was a really cool synth.[/quote]
I haven’t herad about the Xenophone until now. It does look like a very interesting synth and I just watch the demo you created which was very informative.
@vos: Looking at the Quick Start Manual for the synth, it looks like you can use a insert/splitter cable like the A4 for CV/Gate.

Futureretro XS? Quite an aggressive synth though, and has some superfast envelopes. It’s the punk of subtractive monosynths!

We’re not discussing that though are we, we’re talking about sending single notes plus a couple of CCs to an analog monosynth - the rough equivalent to using cv/gate. How much time does it take to send a note via midi - less than a millisecond isn’t it? Maybe a couple more with CCs? That’s negligable compared to other factors, snappyness of envelopes, synth processing speed etc.

CV control is useful principally for drum layering and for sequencing old pre-midi synths. Otherwise midi is fine.[/quote]
Whatever makes you happy !!! :wink: that’s wat’s important :heart:
We don’t nessecarely shear the same needs .
But facts are facts - And I didn’t invent them – BUT they only matter if they are of importance or useful for you.

Here is an interesting story :
a muisician did some researtch by comparing music made on PC and macks and hardware instruments(midi ).
He made some compositions first on hardware (midi à sequencers ).
Than he sampled all tracks and and imported them into different DAWS.
He invited a few Professional dancers and asked them to shake-away on his music - not telling them if it where the hardware or the DAW-versions. They all preferred the hardware versions - not knowng that there where 2 versions of every track .
This fascinated him - he started this experiment because he noticed he allways enjoyed playing hardwaresynths more than software.
He wasn’t shure but he had the feeling it was because of latency - and here he found proof. still not satisfied he started to measure the inner-clocks ( midi +? ) of the PC’s and macks he used. At his surprise he noticed that even the strongest-fullfeatured macks showed an unstable clock L. the dansers didn’t hear the difference , but their bodys felt it.
Turns out that midi clocks in hardware are mutch more stable - he explained thhis >>> The clocks have less to do in hardware ( in my way of understanding ) computers have to do to many things
I’ts ashame this guy didn’t compare midi to CV-sequencers.
But it’s years sinds I’m making dance-music sometimes, and I’m not just feeling the difference - I CAN HEAR IT FOR God’s sake !!!
Already in the box !! Now I never worked with midi-base Elektron gear so I can’t compare them. But I have a Kurzweil 2500 and I can assure u it has one of the best sequencers that exists - very tight - still there’s a difference - AND it can only work in blocks of 2000 kb memory if I’m correct. ( this is for 16 tracks of midi ) .so for big songs you need blocks of sequences that are loaded one after the other . Ones u start to add modulation this memory flys out of the door.
( Humans notice différences of 1000/ms as we can see more than 60 million colors - ask most people how many colors they know and they’ll tell u 8 or 9 at the max ) :alien:
So not only did he discover that minimal tempochanges are noticed - if it’s only ona subconsient level ) he knew from this moment on why it’s so importand to have no lantecy while playing
Not being a technician it seems but log1cal to me that CV-systhems are the tightest of all - do you know at what speed elektricity travels ? :confused:

Yeah but that story’s specifically about midi clock isn’t it which the A4/keys sends anyway?

We’re talking about midi notes going to an analog monosynth like a Waldorf Pulse for basslines. I’m saying that the minimal delay (1-3ms) introduced by using midi is negligible compared to other delaying factors like envelope/processor speeds plus midi has other benefits over cv/gate such as velocity.

If you’re into dance music as you say I guarantee you’ve danced to a ton of tunes over the years that have had tight midi sequenced basslines and you won’t have given a toss :slight_smile:

Because groove is all in extreme timing? :slight_smile:
Note that in your computer the hardware timer interrupts 1000 times a second, and the OS will switch between processes giving time to each. It does have more things to do, but it seems unlikely to me that MIDI will have better precision especially if you have many devices connected together.

Future Retro XS? Micro-brute? Or perhaps something from Mutable Instruments.

Yeah but that story’s specifically about midi clock isn’t it which the A4/keys sends anyway?

We’re talking about midi notes going to an analog monosynth like a Waldorf Pulse for basslines. I’m saying that the minimal delay (1-3ms) introduced by using midi is negligible compared to other delaying factors like envelope/processor speeds plus midi has other benefits over cv/gate such as velocity.

If you’re into dance music as you say I guarantee you’ve danced to a ton of tunes over the years that have had tight midi sequenced basslines and you won’t have given a toss :slight_smile:[/quote]
:wink: And you can be damn shure I won’t say no if they add a midi - sequencer … BUT! it better be a good one… :imp:

Nobody’s saying midi does have better precision though are they and yeah, if you sequence a load of different midi synths from 1 midi port and send loads of notes/CCs/PCs etc of course you’re going to notice problems but again, that’s not what’s being discussed.

I’m saying, in a mix, you will not notice the difference between:

Waldorf Pulse + bassline played by cv/gate by the A4
Waldorf Pulse bassline played by midi by the OT

Actually, no, you will notice a difference. You’ll notice that the midi one sounds better and funkier as it can also include subtle velocity differences and sequenced changes to the filter res (or whatever) that you couldn’t do with cv/gate :wink:

Nobody’s saying midi does have better precision though are they and yeah, if you sequence a load of different midi synths from 1 midi port and send loads of notes/CCs/PCs etc of course you’re going to notice problems but again, that’s not what’s being discussed.

I’m saying, in a mix, you will not notice the difference between:

Waldorf Pulse + bassline played by cv/gate by the A4
Waldorf Pulse bassline played by midi by the OT

Actually, no, you will notice a difference. You’ll notice that the midi one sounds better and funkier as it can also include subtle velocity differences and sequenced changes to the filter res (or whatever) that you couldn’t do with cv/gate :wink:[/quote]
Have you checked this ?

There was a list on the forum about all cv/gate synths and other that could extend the A4 capabilities/sound. It has been deleted unfortunately.

Let’s do it again:

Yeah I agree… the XS is a unique option.
I had a Minitaur and that’s a good choice for the A4 too.

Did you mean this thread?

Did you mean this thread?[/quote]
Exactly!
But the original listing (first post) disappeared.

+1 for slim phatty! :slight_smile:

I also use this mainly to take care of the low end. Id rather have the Sub37 instead though.

Checked what, how much ms delay is caused by midi?

There’s a new OS update for System 1 (and 1M)
SYSTEM-1 VERSION 1.20 NEW FEATURES

[ul]
[li]• Memory function — You can use eight banks, allowing you to store a total of 64 patch memories (8 patch memories x 8 banks).[/li]
[li]• Expanded waveforms added to OSC 1 / OSC 2 — You can use expanded waveforms to make your sounds.
Noise Saw: A sawtooth wave with movement similar to an analog circuit. Ideal for making fat sounds.
Logic Operation: A waveform that uses a logic circuit to combine multiple waveforms.
FM: A frequency-modulated waveform.
FM+Sync: Syncs a frequency-modulated waveform to the OSC pitch to produce a scale.
Vowel: A waveform similar to human voice.
CB: A metallic one-shot sound.[/li]
[/ul]

Well that’s a pretty awesome update.
Now all that’s left is open it up and disable all the ugly green LEDs.

Another +1 for Slim Phatty for what you are describing.

Not as low and aggressive as the Minitaur but more versatile. One thing to consider if you plan to get the Slim Phatty is that it does take longer to warm up and stay in tune (~15 mintues for mine).

This may be bad for live use if you don’t have a place to have it on before you play.

Checked what, how much ms delay is caused by midi?[/quote]
Would it be asked to much of you not to presume what I notice or not or what I am able to do and how ?
You may write about everybody and nobody (whom you seem to represent ), as long as these don’t include me :angry:

My A4’s new companion : Xox Heart ! (100€, 115USD)

A4 / AK with x0x Heart

2 Likes