Compact mic solutions for Octatrack

Right, sorry.

A reamp box won’t work. It takes a 600ohm load and converts it to a “high z” or several thousand ohm load. You’d hear extreme signal degradation in the OT if you use one. But you’d have to study audio engineering to understand why. Better keep looking.

1 Like

Well when you use all these fancy schmancy sciencey terms then I guess you convince me cause I don’t know any better :man_shrugging:

Here I thought I WAS studying audio engineering…

1 Like

Behringer Xenyx 802 is probably the cheapest solution if you want two channels and phantom power

@GirTheRobot - Vis a vis your question about a cheap zoom. I have a Zoom H1n (the basic 2-channel one) and it could probably do what you’re looking for. Stereo mics at 90°, has a 1/8" stereo line output (as well as line in), all for about $80. It’s also really compact, so you can take it almost anywhere to record various sounds to pump into your OT.

2 Likes

I think I just might buy this. Thanks man

Edit: I noticed it doesn’t have a dedicated mic input, just mic/line in which is 1/8th in.

Also if I were to hypothetically get a zoom, is there a way to tell the audio to just pass through the output? Or do you have to be recording? I. E. can it act as a mic to line level converter for on stage purposes?

I’d be interested in a small one like this. I have an H4N I find too big. @GirTheRobot, audio can pass thru H4N, and I think all can monitor with headphones.
Curious about the Zoom IQ6

ZOOM%209547518562003

I think @sezare mentioned it, but yes, audio will go straight through the line out from the microphones (think monitoring with headphones). In essence, this does act as a stereo mic to stereo line level converter. I guess as an added bonus, you can always choose to hit record at the same time and capture the raw sounds (should that be of interest).

Another feature is that it can be used as a simple 2in/2out USB audio interface.

All this is reminding me that I should give this a try one day. Place the mic out the window and run a long cable to the OT, live sample the incoming sound and do OT things to it… Too bad my street is rather dull and almost completely devoid of wildlife sounds.

2 Likes

I think I might splurge and buy one with an actual mic in…