Compact mic solutions for Octatrack

For a while last spring there were some NOS 90s toy-grade dynamic mics with MTV logos on them on eBay for $1-$5 each but the one I got didn’t wok out of the box, unfortunately. Anyway, I’ve got a lot of love for tacky looking toy mics, especially if you’re ever going to use it in front of an audience.

2 Likes

Hi. I’m trying to use the octatrack to process vocals and allow looping in a live setting. I’ve considered the Rupert Neve 5012 or 5017, then back to planet earth, I considered the RME Babyface Pro. And now, even further back to earth, I’m about to order the Sound Devices MP-1 used on EBay. This is what has to happen.

1 Like

I’m reviving this thread cause I’m interested in some options.

Would using a reamp box be suitable or no because the output of the reamp is inst level right? Or is it line? If inst level goes into line in is that okay?

Not 100% sure I understand your goal but I wouldn’t use a reamp box going IN to the OT, I’d use it to put a line level source (like the OT) through guitar hardware like pedals or an amp. I would use a DI to bring guitar hardware IN to the OT. A preamp would take your mic signal up to line level for going IN to OT as well. Does that make sense?

I tried. Not working anymore…:grimacing:
Your fault!
Nah, old mic, wrong batteries maybe, a small component to change…I have to find a good tech.
It worked with a SM57 and ts jack!

I just want my mic to go into an Octa

Why wouldn’t mic > reamp box mic in > reamp box line out > Octa work?

A small preamp is the best bet I think. Lots of folks suggest the small zoom recorders are the best bang for the buck. Plus you get an added recording function - which doesn’t really figure into your use in this instance.

This might actually be fine anyway cause I kinda want a portable recorder in case I wanna move my setup out of my studio, record videos, etc. What’s a good cheap zoom? Also what’s better zoom or Marantz?

Yeah that’s where I fail. I haven’t really looked into them… A cheap one! haha
I’ll bet lots of others could weigh in though!

This was two years ago… What’d you end up doing?

My whole objective was to have a mobile sampling kind of setup, but I didn’t have a super clear vision of how it was going to work. I wanted something really tidy (most proper solutions seemed pretty messy) and bought a cheap Radio shack stereo mic with 2 1/4" plugs and it didn’t even work. I would have went with a Zoom but I pretty much gave up on it I guess because it wasn’t super important to me then. I have an OP-Z now so mobile sampling is easy. :slight_smile: But I’m still not doing it a lot. I’d like to get more into it.

Guys, I’ve been trying to use the OT as a vocal processor and looper, for live use and just now and starting to figure some stuff out. Max Marco just released “why you SHOULDNT buy an octatrack” and it helped me feel not so alone. So listen, with a 57, go to a radial mic splitter, and send that off to the FOH. Then on the isolated out, buy a long female xlr to male 1/4 and into the OT. Now set gain to 64 on AB in the mixer menu, set up a thru machine and add a compressor with gain to touch. This give you a hot enough signal to record but it is noisy. Now Cuckoo just released a video comparing the Soyuz Launcher. I’m gonna add that post-mic splitter and see if that allows me to lower the OT gain and therefore the noise floor. That, or a cloud lifter.

1 Like

Both the Launcher and Cloud Lifter need phantom power to work, so that is another part of the equation you gotta take care of, which is why an external preamp is pretty much a must for this issue. Another option is a mic like the the Rode NTG2 or Sennheiser MKE 600 which operate of an AA battery for phantom power. Still not sure the Octatrack will have enough gain for this option though

Guys seriously I don’t understand what this post is about. What everyone does in this situation is MIC>MIXER>OT / DT or any other device. Stop the nonsense and make some music! Cheers.

1 Like

This post is about trying to find a better solution than your signal chain “mic-mixer-OT.” Specifically, this post is to find a small wireless apparatus that can replace the “mixer” stage. I mistakenly thought the Cloudlifter and the Soyuz Launcher were passive devices, so you would be correct in pointing out that they are not a better choice than a powered mixer. I’ve found small battery powered mic preamps for Lav mics, but that is also not quite idea, for their high prices. The search continues.

This. Maybe?

Claims +25db

so I guess it comes down to whether it sounds better than just putting full gain on the OT - which I’ve done with an SM57 but it doesn’t feel right…

Yeah but what if you don’t want something as big and bulky as a mixer? Even a small one is like a hundred bucks… If there are cheaper more compact alternatives (I still think a reamp box would work) why not try them?

Same issue…needs phantom power

Because reamp boxes aren’t for mics

But they take a mic input right?

This is of course if you want to use cardioid and not condenser… If using condenser yeah just get a mixer lol