Compact Audio Mixer - Recommendations

Hi there!

Any recommendations for a compact audio mixer to go with the Octatrack?

Thanks

I’ve been using a Yamaha MG10XU for the past 3 years. Fairly compact unit, 10 inputs, built in fx, pretty inexpensive. I’m selling mine currently if you’re interested.

K-Mix. Not cheap, but great.

1 Like

What else but the octatrack are you plugging into it?

1 Like

My setup would contain the below:

1. Octatrack
  2. Effects pedal
  3. Audio mixer
  4. Speakers

Are you sure you need a mixer? OT is pretty good at replacing them in small setups like this.

Example of how I’m currently using mine:
in1: synth A
in2: synth B
in 3: field recorder
in 4: FX return
cue out: FX send
main out: audio interface (but you could plug your speakers here directly)

3 Likes

Get a Mackie 802VLZ3 or 4.

They are cheap and perfect for use with Octatrack as you can use the MAIN outs to Octatrack in 1&2 with a Thru track for FX and ALT 3/4 outs to Octatrack in 3&4 for sampling or looping.

There are many ways to use the two together but it’s a neat solution for adding mic, synths, guitars etc.

Not sure you would need a mixer. Maybe if you’re thinking about running the pedals in a loop, otherwise it’s a bit superfluous

1 Like

I really like the old Boss BX mixers: great preamps and summing imo - great for electro-techno-house, but look elsewhere for clean.

Even with one fx pedal, a mixer with just two sends opens up more possibilities: Use OT in studio mode. Send either of the two stereo outs to pedal, send either stereo channel to the other for OT FX.

In any case you’ll need a mixer to integrate your next piece of HW!

One idea if your using main and cue outputs would be to get a decent dj mixer. I went that route because I wanted to ‘play’ the mixer more with Eq and filters etc.

I recently saw this post at a friends house.

Thank you all for your feedback :slightly_smiling_face: