Coming soon

I just like things with knobs on it. Like the fader fox, mapping a bunch of stuff there to avoid page jumping, but I dont mind that either. I like the retrig having it’s own button

I hear you!

I’m only disappointed that it has been revealed. Before the cold hard truth we had countless possibilities and dreams.

11 Likes

Why would anyone wish for someone to fail? :confused:

The box may not be your thing, but i would think youd hope it would do well for them so they can keep making new gear. Perhaps one that suits what you like to do, or maybe not.

I hope this does well for them.

10 Likes

If anything, elektron will have done a lot of market research to identify sales projections.

Safe to say elektronauts and other forum haunters are part of the market, but clearly just a small part. This product is not primarily or even significantly targeting existing owners. So negative opinions are largely those from the upper echelons of elektron seasoned veterans at which this product is not aimed.

Naturally elektron will have carefully studied the entire possible market and MS is targetted much more broadly than within the confines of well heeled existing users.

I would expect an influx of budget sensitive elektron newbies to the forums as MS gets released into the wild. Learning the joys of plocks for the first time.

If elektron can sell into new users it will have been a success - I doubt existing DT, RYTM users featured in their sales projections for MS. Though maybe it is attractive to OT users as a couple of extra tracks of either midi or samples …

5 Likes

I agree, I’d love to see this do well. It’s been interesting to watch elektron grow over the last decade or so.

3 Likes

For me its good news :slight_smile: Not something i need.
I haven’t bought anything from Elektron after the Rytm and its fine because my wallet is not infinite.
I think they are going to sell alot of those.

1 Like

I want to believe

Short/Mid-term sale projections are almost always care only for getting new customers, not the brand image and not the long-term customer loyalty.

Look at how “happy” the loyal “Pro” customers of Apple. They requesting for almost a decade to get powerful computers, instead of thinner laptops or trash can "Mac Pro"s, but they’ve been only told in 2017 that Apple will create a special team to focus on Pro customers, but the Mac Pro won’t be available before 2019 (Q3/Q4 at the earliest).

Quick money makes companies bigger, but that doesn’t guarantee they will invest back to loyal customers and pro-lines, rather they will polish the entry-level products more and supply support for them. Apple didn’t become Apple with iPhone or iPod… but Macintosh. But they become today’s Apple with iPod and iPhone, so for many many years they only care for these lines of products, not the computers.

Of course Elektron will earn really good money with M:S, and the future sales projections will target the company more to the these budget products. Many people will be hooked to Elektron, like many did for Apple. And now many pro users are leaving the ship.

4 Likes

That’s unfounded speculation based on the decisions of one unrelated company. Nothing indicates that Elektron is going down the same path.

2 Likes

The point was that back then, as there is now, there are a whole load of options some better than others and that it’s very much dependent on the needs of the individual. But also, that I don’t think it make sense to talk of certain features as being standard or universally useful. To answer your question (or not!!) I certainly couldn’t name such a groovebox off the top of my head - or even with a bunch of research. But that’s irrelevant to the use of the device for specific individuals. We’re agreed that for some it is important for other less so.

But I could argue that the inclusion of a song mode is a flaw. It’s inclusion requires development time, a user interface to accommodate, testing etc. And every firmware update requires that to be retested. And if the song mode is particularly comprehensive or complex then that would definitely be at the expense of other features that I might find infinitely more useful. Or other people might find useful. Or, if they include only a rudimentary song mode you’ll have complaints that it’s tokenistic.

But I don’t see the value in complaining about how the feature set for a given product aligns to my own tastes… if I find the design choices of a company diverging with mine then such is life sometimes. But there are lots of other instruments available from Elektron and other manufacturers that I can go consider.

Bringing this back round to the M:S and I think I’m probably in the same boat as you for this product albeit for different reasons. But that’s now. In the future my needs or interests might change and I’ll revisit those thoughts and decide to invest in an M:S or they might not and I’ll consider other options or try to justify what I have bought that I’ve never fully got the most out of… which is probably most things.

they’re gonna release a digi sized digital drum synth tomorrow with sample layering and analog distortion.
price… €750.
FACT
:sweat_smile: :pray:

5 Likes

Then we‘re talking.

2 Likes

Only time will tell if this is a speculation or not, and it’s not unrelated; they’re both technology companies creating products for consumers, coming from niche markets to serving mainstream population.

Nothing indicated at 1999 that Apple will fall behind ALL of the industry in creating Pro computers, but here we are… the latest chips they’re using are at least 2-3 years old. (iMac or Macbook Pro) And the latest Mac Pro is using 5 years old chips.

1 Like

You could just as easily look at Korg or Roland, who make cheap entry-level boxes without neglecting their ‘pro’ products. At least then the comparison is between two music gear companies.

1 Like

Exactly like Roland, who are creating digital/software reissues of their drum machines from the 80s. Do you want a cloud based AnalogRytm in 10 years?

3 Likes

Almost correct. That’s actually the Digitakt firmware update :slight_smile:

8 Likes

:grin::ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

Roland have picked a direction and run with it (ACB) but it’s a valid successor to their old analogs; the System 8 and TR-8S are top-shelf pro instruments no matter how you slice it, and the boutiques are making people happy as well. They’ll all continue to work in 30 years regardless of what Roland are doing on the plugin side.

Point is if a company wants to get bigger and survive in a competitive market, they need to have products that appeal to every taste and budget. If you want Elektron to continue making big boy boxes you’ll have to accept the plastic fun cheapies as a necessary part of that strategy. The A4 MK2 and AR MK2 only just came out, so there’s no reason to believe that they’re abandoning their top-end units.

1 Like

With all do respect, I think you’re reaching a bit with the “song mode being a flaw” argument… There’s a reason SM was an industry standard for decades. IMO many manufactures have reduced themselves to catering to the casual market and that’s ok… I get it, professionals are most likely using software now so it makes it difficult to cater to them with hardware… Elektron was special in this capacity… But with this new release I’m not so sure… Now, to say one is merely complaining because they wish to speak their mind about something they feel strongly about seems judgmental at best… But, I do think we are all in this together so all I can do is hope for the best…:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes