Coffee

Old news :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’ve had a bean to cup coffee machine for years and usually make 1 latte a day after work, or after breakfast in the mornings at the weekend.

After experimenting with a lot of beans both recommended by others and beans that i’ve found myself, for me the best beans i’ve used so far are Starbucks Dark Roast. They might not have traveled through a cats butt, or been roasted by a local artisan, but it’s the taste that counts. A bag fits nicely in the bean holder too.

I don’t know how my coffee compares to the first cups I tasted at the hotel in Rimini in the mid 90s when I fell in love with coffee, but to my palate it tastes much nicer than most artisan coffee shops that i’ve been in with their exotic blends and the generic branded coffee chains (apart from Starbucks itself - when it’s made the old way properly before they started adding extra shots) and that’s what counts to me more than feeling good about my coffee because i’m using an obscure secret recipe and being a snob about it.

bros i love coffee so much it’s unreal

4 Likes

Sorry!

1 Like

No need to apologize

:upside_down_face:

Edit: it’s good to be mindful of the health impact of the things you enjoy. But there has also been a long history of people who just don’t understand our delicious beverage. :innocent:

1 Like

I used to drink and love about 3 coffees a day - have for the last 10s or so, and more before that.

When I quit alcohol, which I used to self-medicate anxiety, I was hit with incredible anxiety which caffeine totally exasperated. Thankfully I identified this quickly and quit caffeine too.

This is the sacrilegious part, but because I still love the ritual of coffee when starting my day, I switched to decaf. And you know what? It’s great! I still have the same experience but just without the buzz and anxiety. Everyone now again I’ll have a very weak long black from a cafe or (my wife calls it this) wave caffeine into my decaf (a very weak small shot) - I have two young kids so only so this if I really need the stimulant. Which is sometimes.

I use a big espresso machine and I’ve found decaf beans that I think taste great.

1 Like

weird. i’m currently going through an alcohol-free phase, and as such i’ve got back into coffee. i can’t tolerate it when i’m doing my usual thing of drinking daily, because of that residual hangover anxiety.

currently messing around with cold brew, lots of fun

1 Like

Also, I’m all about black coffee. Used to drink milk coffees but when I hit my mid 30s I decided I couldn’t deal all the milk. Intriguingly, my wife and most of my ex girlfriends all drank long blacks and told me that it was the truest way to drink coffee. Now I agree with them.

It’s like sushi. Once you eat raw salmon you just can’t eat cooked salmon. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe it depends why we were drinking booze in the first place? Good on you though. I’ve found just not drinking is waaaay easier than consistently failing at moderation.

And man, it’s been good for being more productive with my time and making more music!

1 Like

my dad always drank black coffee so as i kid i pretended to like black coffee too, to impress him. now of course, i actually do love it

1 Like

Haha! Yeah, I think most of my ex girlfriends were bitter brunettes. Now I’m a bitter old man. So I’ve grown to love the taste. :joy:

I know that’s why I find it odd. But after slightly more than a week using the same blend in a French press instead of espresso my stomach is better!

1 Like

I’m no doctor, but I’d go with what your stomach prefers :slight_smile:

Have you tried drinking a glass of water before having your espresso?

Great thread and can’t wait to try some of the methods and coffees suggested :relaxed:

Glasgow, for a small city, is pretty good on the coffee front! From home I’ve a wee mokka/stovetop and currently running a subscription from local Gordon Street Coffee and have had similar from other locals like Grain & Grind and Papercup - all recommended.

Looking to move from the stovetop in time I think and considering preparation of cold brew in batches. I like the stovetop but feel it’s too easy to burn, and partly due to its small-size I find prep a little cumbersome and messy.

Daily use is an aeropress, I have three, one each for work, home and the camping kit box. Nobody separates me from my coffee!

Unless you’re going full espresso I think it makes the best tasting cup. When I fancy a change I also have french press, stove top and a siphon. Regarding brand I’m taking an extended tour around the thousands of different boutique companies - never supermarket or branded.

The addict in me wants to try this next:

1 Like

I upped my coffee game during the start of the pandemic. I knew id be making coffee at home instead of visiting my local shop, so I picked up a Technivorm Moccamaster Select.

6 Likes

I’m an Aeropress man at the moment, coffee for one in our household. Mostly Lavazza, but if I get into the city then something nicer.

One of the loveliest coffees I drank was a Yirgacheffe natural.
Tried a bag of Panama Geisha once but I don’t think my taste buds were cultured enough to appreciate the quality (compared to other indy roasts)

Flair lever espresso in action, accompanied by NDLR & Blofeld.

1 Like