CME WIDI THRU BT > Digitone

I have a one in 5 thru CME WIDI THRU6 BT device

I can connect an Arturia Keystep 37 to its MIDI IN and control a Dreadbox Typhon and a Pittsburg Modular Taiga via those machine’s into 2 of the MIDI THRU of the CME device. I also managed to get the step sequencer of the Digitone to record steps / notes via Record+Play, from the Taiga and Typhon.

My problem is those notes do not in turn play the notes back from the Taiga or Typhon.

So do i need to route in a different way - or even route audio on the Digitone a different way? I have Digitone receiving notes from the two synths on MIDI channels 5 and 6.

It seems because my synths are receiving THRU control via the Keystep going to IN of the CME device they no longer have a MIDI OUT from the Digitone to allow Digitone to play them back in turn. So… require two cables from Keystep maybe, one to IN of the CME device from its MIDI OUT and one cable to its MIDI IN from Digitone MIDI OUT, while the two synths still receive MIDI IN from the Keystep via CME device THRU to their MIDI IN’s. Would that be the way?

Confused as f#$% !!

Not really sure which synth should sequence which but I’m going to assume the following goal:

1. Arturia key step can play the Digitone, Taiga, Typhon
  2. Digitone can sequence the Taiga or the Typhon via its sequencer (sequence you recorded by playing the keystep)

If so, I guess the following setup should work:

a. keystep OUT into the IN of the Digitone
b. The Digitone OUT into the IN of the CME
c. CME THRU 1 to Taiga, THRU 2 to Typhon

Now, let’s say you want to record a sequence for the Typhon onto the Digitone and play that sequence back from the Digitone:

d. set the Digitone MIDI track1 to send on channel 5 (in the MIDI track 1 settings active channel 5)
e. set the Typhon channel to receive on 5
f. set the keystep channel to 5

If you play your keystep, you should hear your Typhon (you might need to have the MIDI track 1 selected and active for it to work, not sure)
If so, record on the Digitone what you wanna play. If you press Play, the Digitone should play back the sequence to the Typhon.

I don’t know the procedure for CME specifically so I’d have to look it up to confirm, but the wireless midi (bluetooth) jack I own requires both the input and output of the transmitting device to (both) be plugged in to the synth/controller that will be sending signal to the receiving device, meaning if keystep were sending signal the dongle would need to be plugged into both the midi in and the midi out, or if it was digitone the same would be true. To get around this or add an additional device also going in requires some combination of a merger box and a thru box if I want anything else in line with it. So is the CME widi jack different? Does it only occupy one DIN slot or the other?

You don’t need to use BT, it has normal MIDI IN(1) and MIDI THRU(5)+1(BT). I assume from the post, OP is using cables (but could be wrong!)

1 Like

I see, I guess they aren’t using a widi jack anywhere in there. I somehow missed that in the first post.

if he does or intends to use widi jacks, your info is useful so the more the merrier :slight_smile:

All great advice thanks!

I followed your steps @blakewalt and all is well and working as it should :exploding_head:

What a journey haha. I had ended up routing the Typhon in the normal way directly to Digitone and was sequencing using its own step sequencer trigger by Keystep which was still going to CME IN. I had Taiga going to Digitone OUT - it’s a single TRS > 5 PIN MIDI. Digitone THRU to CME THRU1. At least I think that’s what I had. I could not hear Typhon via Digitone steps but playing itself. Taiga + Typhon + Digitone operated by Keystep. But the solution above is far better and what I was aiming for.

Now to see what I can get going with these beasties.

:pray:

2 Likes