Cloudburst from Strymon

Cloudburst

Reverb pedal, which has lineage with the BigSky pedal.

5 Likes

New form factor eh? Looks interesting.

1 Like

official: Cloudburst — Ambient Reverb — Reverb Pedal - Strymon

2 Likes

Official In Depth Video

I really like the new ensemble effect! According to the website it is more like a vocoder (analyzing frequency bands) than a chorus/ensemble modulation effect. Also of interest is that Strymon is using an ARM processor here, moving away from the SHARC DSP (which I think we knew they were going to do already?). While I didn’t see any synth examples yet I think this could work well. The original cloud engine on the BigSky works well and a harmonically rich sound should give the ensemble part something interesting to do. There’s still MIDI control over parameters too. It is nice to see Strymon offering a lower-cost product as well.

1 Like

I’ve watched a few videos of cloudburst now, and it seems interesting but seems to be following inthe path of other “auto sustaining” reverbs. I had an Old Blood Noise Sunlight that I really wanted to like – it had some amazing weird sounds, but I realized that the sound was just too “out there” for most of what I do on guitar. The effect always felt way too heavy handed. But I’m stoked there’s another option out there for people who like this kind of reverb!

Edit: I suppose one of the really nice bits is being a stereo option for this kind of pedal as well.

Off-topic Strymon speculation

I think it’s very likely that Strymon will introduce a tape delay effect in this form factor since they’re well-known for the El Capistan and Volante. Like with this pedal, I feel they’ll include something extra which they haven’t done before as an enticement for existing Strymon customers. Maybe a granular delay effect? The two pedals would be the perfect ambient guitar starter pack.

Make a good synth/eurorack pedals being stereo out as well as ambient guitar- dialled back it pretty much sounded like a normal reverb.

1 Like

Feature wise this still has most of what Strymons other small format pedals have going on? Stereo in and out, proper midi etc?

I hope it’s an addition to the range and not signalling a possible departure (seems unlikely) from their smaller two switch pedals. I love those.

Yeah it’s got stereo, MIDI, etc like the others (all TRS). This looks to be a third tier in the lineup. No way they dump the others.

This could be my very first Strymon pedal. The Ensemble Modes got my attention. Can’t wait to hear what it does with Synths. Anyone found one with Synths?

1 Like

And here’s another demo with Roland SH-01a and Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

1 Like