Closed : Major update for all Digitakts why not?

just chuck in scale per track and i’ll keep my satiable mouth shut

i know it wasnt marketed having scale per track, but for a midi sequencer and drum computer it should be a no brainer. thank you for the compressor but i’d trade it in any day for some scales

I am liking the DT compressor a lot.
Please don’t take it away…
Sorry @meanderpede :blush:

3 Likes

haha not a bad idea if apparently the digitakt DSP is stretched as it is:

trade off features by just uploading whatever OS you would like. i want scales, you want compressor, so we would download a different OS from the elektron website and boom - everyone is happy, the digitakt is still instant, the dsp survives

2 Likes

Hahaha!!! Good idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

that would be an idea! Otherwise I was thinking: why not 2 different OS: one with Overbridge, and a second without it, but with additional features, like expanded filter section, stereo input imaging, etc…

I have 1.11 now on my unit since a while, which is the overbridge supported OS (note I never used it up to now…), but it’s still in BETA version!

1 Like

Really bad idea. What about projects that use the compressor or would use scale per track (if implemented on the DT)? You’re just not able to open them then? Each OS would have to be tested on bugs etc etc. Custom OSs for different purposes would make everything needlessly complicated and would probably mess up old user projects in a major way. Apart from thinking this is a bad idea, I can’t see elektron going down this road, as it would be a huge unnecessary hassle.

3 Likes

From an engineering and usability point of view that would be quite a stupid idea. Why replace the complete OS when the only thing you need is a configurable effects slot? This also solves the problem of backward compatibility.

1 Like

hey guys - all i want is some scaling and im happy to trade the compressor and overbridge for it, just spitballing here

maybe not a different OS but just the option to remove features you wont use. like modular, youd just get empty boxes per page and youd insert the effect or feature youd want. remove distortion, add a second filter / remove compressor, add scaling / link two mono for one stereo / or whatever

1 Like

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla…
all the time spent here whining about features
and things that digitakt lags… pfffff
please enjoy the unit and make music whit it (which it is really capable of)

4 Likes

2x the testing effort does not work as far as Dev labor and opportunity cost goes.

1 Like

I’m guessing the general reception for paid Overbridge would have killed any notion of having paid software updates, even though I’m personally ok with this idea. Firmware updates probably aren’t going to sell many new units and developer hours cost money so it kind of makes sense from a business standpoint.

2 Likes

Btw most machines back then were released with a fairly stable/bug free OS. They would iron out most of the bugs BEFORE the release date :slight_smile:
If everything is well thought out/tested and implemented, there wouldn’t be a need for much else.

I waited 1 year+ after the product release to get a more mature OS (1.04). Also, I understand the compressor was meant to be there from the start but wasn’t until 1.08 :slight_smile:
Ideally the 1.00 to 1.08 progression should have happened at the lab/testing stage and the product released with 1.08 as the first public version.

Anyway, I’m glad we have it in this form and I think it is a good product.

Btw - a great thing to have would be a - mute/choke group across the 8 audio tracks - and BAM instant SP12/MPC like experience. Very simple and very inspiring. Great way of working with samples. No need for extra CPU etc etc.

:whale2::sun_with_face::palm_tree::rainbow:

Lets assume Elektron using an engineer or two to keep working on (unnecessary but nice to have) OS updates and covering costs through a subscription model was feasible…

OR

They could use those engineers on a brand new product that was likely to net them some pretty significant profits.

Which would be the better use of company resources from the company/shareholders viewpoint?

Your right but my personal view is that it depends.Generally if one’s brand main motivation is :moneybag: i would say B (debatable in a long term but that’s my humble opinion ) But I’m sincerely doubt that, If they’re passionate to keep awesomeness in this giant pile of competition me personal would choose both if that’s an option. Copy pasted straight from :3lektron: just to show where my expectations come from :wink:

“Among friends

Being an Elektron user means being cared for. Enjoy continuous care, premium customer support and a creative and vibrant community. An Elektron creation is just the beginning.

Good vibrations

The human touch defines us. By recognizing and paying close attention to the social context of music making, we hope to be able to contribute on a larger scale. An Elektron creation is a part of the world and tries to make it better”

1 Like

I think this topic can be closed. In think most is said. It became clear Digitakt is 99% is what is is due to max DSP and it’s great anyway. Perhaps some final minor bug fixes and perhaps some small :cherries: on the :pie: when current beta firmware is finished . Enjoy the product all and make some dope beats and share. :thup:

2 Likes