Clickup Machines

I have the Rc 505 too!
I think I will sell it for sponsoring Analog Heat but I know it works well!

Iā€™m also on OS 1.25H. Perhaps the fade position depends on the length of the fades? Would like to do more tests, but need sleep right nowā€¦

Some of these clicks could be a bug that creeps up here and there. I rely heavily on pickup machines for my OT usage, use them every time I turn it on. Most of the time I do not get clicks, hundreds of times, all good. But there have been a few times where clicks started happening. When the clicks arose, I would get them even if I recorded pure silence. No track recorder or PU settings were changed. Once the clicks arose, the only way to stop them was by reloading the project, and before that I triple checked the settings, reloaded part, and power cycledā€¦ This reminds me to really investigate more the specifics of pickup machines, and file support tickets. I would love so much if the community could narrow down exactly what are the PU issues and when exactly do they happen, and hopefully squeeze another bug fix or two from HQ so we can have some fully functioning pickups before were left in legacy landā€¦

@wolfgangschaltung : I hesitated to get up to check this! Maybe it behave like this with long f in and f out.
Good night.

@Open_Mike : Maybe internal audio sync problemā€¦ Sleep.

@wolfgangschaltung
My last test was on a normal recorder, not a PUM. Youā€™re right, with PUMs, fade out is added at the beginning of the sample. USELESS!

I just tried with a with noise, 16 step record with 8 steps for F in and F out, almost the save as your picture!

I remembered your diagram as well as Olleā€™s response. Here it is:

Soooo doesnā€™t seem there is a ā€œfixā€ in storeā€¦hmmmā€¦

Those are good tips, though. If I run into it Iā€™ll remember them.

For what itā€™s worth I have not yet come across any issues using ONE2 for my PU. Admittedly though Iā€™ve been doing more beat-extensive work than ambient/drone presently. Iā€™ll be sure to update if and when I come across it.

Do you use fades? Maybe F in with a short is usable. F out is insane.

Always, yeah. 0.063 on both. But again theyā€™re mainly beats which I think any implementation of Fade Out would handle fine. Itā€™s the really difficult stereo, droney ambient washes that Iā€™m sure are very difficultā€¦

Are you recording stereo tracks? If so, consider they would then have two different lengthsā€¦

Like Olle said ā€œit cannot predictā€ when weā€™re going to cut it. Though I would think ā€œreadingā€ the RLEN should help?

EDIT: How RC505 can do it answered by wolf above.

This thread is filling up with great insights, good stuff, iā€™m minded of a previous pledge - to start a very focussed thread for getting the most out of Pickup Machines ā€¦ a catchall for all the pitfalls and tipis that will allow a user to get into them and use them fairly reliably - a sort of power users thread, it would be reliant on lots of user feedback as there are many subtle ways to interact differently ā€¦ iā€™ll have a think about that and hopefully we can create a useful resource thread/sticky with everything one needs to know ā€¦ letā€™s do it before Elektron release a looping pedal though :wink: iā€™ll digest the above replies soon, just wanted to say this whilst there was some community interest in this topic

As an aside - i have had the original expanded Lexicon JamMan from new, it also has MIDI sync though it takes as stereo signal in and out it sums the input to Mono - but in all my time with it i never once ever recalled having heard clicks

another aside, sometimes there is no possibility to avoid a click, especially with low frequency stuff with few pure harmonics, those waves will simply not fare well to being interrupted and the resulting transition even with a clever fade or crossfade will be audible, albeit mitigated to some extent, your chances of not noticing anything increase when you start to work with staccato phrases and noisy content which would mask the possibility of a click

Rc 505 use proper internal fades, with audio overlap. Stereo or mono, it works.

Ot can overlap with PU in overdub but the fades curves are silly, as I wrote too many times, it cannot be exponential for crossfades. Logarithmic or linear at least.
The last not the least, if you increase the fade time, it adds silence before or after the fade, instead of smoothing the curve.

we need to collate all this great info into a super-thread - then use it as ammo for a case to Elektron to tweak a few things

i returned an RC-300 many moons ago (when released) as it clicked real bad fwiw

I had and sold 2 Rc 300, 1 Rc 50, I donā€™t remember bad clics. Anyway the Rc 505 is much better. Iā€™m sure there will be a better looper one day, maybe a Elektron?
Or just even a correct fade implementation in a Ot update with auto save samples and Iā€™d buy a second Ot! :sunny:

3 Likes

2 Likes

Sooooo I said Iā€™d report back here if I ran into Clickups. Ohhhh did I.

I accidentally set my pickup to record 32 bars (not sure what I did). I had been using ONE2 for hours before without a hitch. But when it was accidentally setup for automatic length, clicks galore.

Crazy. What could be the difference? Maybe the limited length doesnā€™t consider the FIN/OUT and just cuts it?

Again, mainly beats, but some stereo FX and textures.

What do you mean by automatic length ? RLen set to Max ?
I use Plen on Qrec and Qplay, without Fin/out.

Yeah somehow it was only recording 32 steps but the RLEN was still at MAX. I checked my recorder trigs too but didnt see any. Again, unsure what I did

QREC and QPL are both off.

ONE2 has never given me an issue.

Unsure to understand your problem. :grin:

lol nothing since Iā€™ll be using ONE2!!

No earlier Id said that I would report back here if I ever came across clicks (as I hadnt been since using ONE2). I just wanted to report that I too came across clicks. Thatā€™s all.