Clicks When Turning On/Off AH Filter

I’d like to use the Analog Heat for live performance, especially the filter, but there is a click when I turn the filter on/off. It’s not as bad when the frequency and resonance are turned down, but it’s still there. Anyone else have this issue / know how to solve it?

I’m running the Analog Rytm through it with the Heat on the Clean Boost setting.

It doesn’t happen for me.

1 Like

Starting to think that I might have a faulty unit. I also have an issue where the filter doesn’t work at first try after turning it on…I need to turn the encoder fully clockwise and anti-clockwise a couple of times to get the Heat to register that I’m using it.

I’ll install the latest os and see if that fixes it.

6.3.4 KNOB MODE

Sets how the knobs on the panel affect the parameters. When you load a preset, the knobs positions typically don’t match their parameter values.

• JUMP immediately sets the value to the current knob position.
  • In CATCH mode, turning the knob do not change the parameter value until the knob position matches the presets stored value.

You can see the current value of the parameter in the LCD screens title bar while you turn the knob.

1 Like

I’ve just been working from the init preset, but this is very helpful, thanks.

1 Like

Set to JUMP and you should be fine (in Settings).

2 Likes

I updated the os but still getting the click when I turn the filter on/off. Maybe I have a faulty unit. Anyone else experienced this issue?

I just created a support ticket. Have a feeling that I will need to send it back.

Just a note - considering the analog signal path it’s not that surprising to hear a click in the situations you’re describing. It might be expected behaviour. I don’t currently have mine hooked up to check but I’m pretty sure I’ve experienced this in the past. One possibility, if it suits your live plans, could be to only turn the filter on and off or change filter types when the mix is 100% dry (you obviously won’t hear it then).

1 Like

Could be that alright. I must try it with the Digitakt and see if the same thing happens. Nice idea, only thing is I’m trying to keep a constant level when the filter is turned on and off. Do you know if that is possible somehow while turning down the dry/wet level?

1 Like

Yes, you just have to gain match the wet (drive) settings and dry signal. It’s quite easy to do by setting the mix to fully wet and A/Bing the active/inactive state.

2 Likes

Thanks @handed @finalform, this is working for me now. I’m just leaving the filter on and doing a quick turn of the Dry/Wet encoder from fully dry to fully wet instead of using on/off.

2 Likes

Good to hear!

1 Like

To put your mind at ease, my AH clicks when switching or turning off the filter too. It’s not audible when switching on a loud transient like a kick or snare.

3 Likes

Here’s the reply from Elektron for the reference of anyone else who has this issue.

"This is the nature of the way this device is designed, I’m afraid it’s not possible to avoid this when turning it on/off.

I recommend using the dry/wet knob instead, this will help you add the effect more slowly (and avoiding the click)."

Edit: This is tricky, because you don’t get the warmth/distortion of the Heat when the Dry/Wet is at zero. So if I want to use the Heat for both warmth/distortion and the filter in a live situation, I need to carefully adjust the Drive and Wet Level so that the Dry/Wet will have the same volume whether it is fully wet or dry (while at the same time making sure I hear some warmth when it is wet). Then after getting that balance, I can turn down the Dry/Wet just before turning on the filter without losing volume. Finding that with the Drive and Wet Level both just over 50% I can get some warmth from the Heat in this way when on Saturation mode, but not hearing anything from it when I use Clean Boost, which is a pity because I prefer this setting.

Mine is the same… because all units do…

Maybe we can get an explanation from @plragde who claims otherwise (probably erroneously)?

1 Like

I probably don’t have enough experience with the unit (I’ve only had mine for a couple of weeks now). When I saw the original post, I turned mine on and the Elektron device to which it was connected, turned up the resonance, and swept the filter frequency while changing types and turning the filter on and off. I didn’t hear any clicks, but it was a short test. I’ll listen for them in future.

1 Like

Next up on Elektronauts: how to use the on/off filter switch of the AH as metronome

1 Like

I’ve just put in a feature request with Elektron for no clicks turning on/off filter in a future update.

The use of Dry/Wet, Drive and Wet Level that I previously posted is not actually doing much for me.

Very disappointed that I have to choose between either using the AH for warmth/distortion, or the filter when playing live, this really devalues what I thought I was getting when I bought the Heat. :frowning: