Click and hiss

Hi there,

Just bought a 2nd hand AD, sounds huge but when pushing the level knob more than 1/3 the hiss becomes quite noticeable. Can work it around by cutting the highs but that impacts the sound.
Also there’s a boring click when switching on/bypass; is this proper to the unit or mine can be spoiled or something? I run it in front of an Orange amp, clean channel with no eq.

Thanks, cheers and stay safe!

It’s unfortunate that there is no Gate on this pedal.
But you can either add a gate right after the pedal, or use some MIDI controller that would set volume to 0, as the pedal accepts MIDI.

Another aspect is that there are chances your own gear already produces noise, it’s very common in the guitar world (especially check the chapter “Noisy guitar wiring”, I had to deal with it in the past).

Thanks for (fast) replying, ok for the hiss, will deal with that and check a gate as you suggest. Do you experience that click when switching on?

1 Like

I’m wrong: there is one on the left part of the pedal.
Not on the right, it would seem. Or maybe the sensibility is set too low for these distorsions, which is understandable.

I don’t notice a huge click, it’s rather soft.

you mean a gate control? can’t see it in the manual, or pictures

No, it doesn’t appear to be a gate control (usually just a threshold knob).
I’m talking about some automatic gate that shuts down the output when there is no input.
You can hear it closing down less than a second after you cease sending signal into the pedal.

Actually the fact that there is no gate on the right part of the distorsion set must be some design choice, as what I’ve just described would work for a fuzz too.
Might be too noticeable, which is why they let it with the natural noise that every fuzz kindly offers.

Thank you, i will check the pedal more in detail this eve.
Cheers!