Cleaning changing encoders

I have a couple of encoders on my AF that are not working as expected probable some moisture/dust.

Any one here knows if Elektron sells encoders or if there are some compatible encoders out there?

1 Like

some points worth mentioning,
yes last time i bought them from elektron for $5 each
your machine should be under warranty thoughh
i have tried an a4 straight out of the box with dodgy encoders
they are pretty average to pooor quality, you might get more life out of them by using spray but then they will probably get worse after a while
other brands of encoders will work but will probably not have tthe same dimensions

1 Like

The things got a 3 year warranty, its alway worth a try. Fair bet Alps makes something thatā€™ll fit, but it will be the end of your warranty.

Good to know you can buy from them!

When you say that my machine should be under warranty, you mean to buy encoders from elektron?

Yes alps ones fit and work but the shaft is longer. By warranty i mean send your machine in for repair

Sending my machine for repair is not an option :frowning:
What I want it to buy them and replace them by myself.

I couldnā€™t tell you which specific product would be suitable for Elektron pots, but assuming the pots arenā€™t sealed, a good cleaner/ lubricant might do the trick. I have had good experiences with Deoxit products, if available in your area. http://www.caig.com/

Please create a support case on www.elektron.se and you can buy new encoders for 4ā‚¬ each.

Please note that replacing them requires soldering, and it can be rather tricky to not damage the PCB.

1 Like

I have experience with sensitive electronics, also professional tools for soldering/desoldering (digital soldering station, hot air reworking station with several nozzles tips.), so IĀ“ll go for the DIY option.

I already opened a ticket prior to write here :slight_smile:
I wanted to have an idea of what to expect anyway.

Thanks you guys for your tips on this!

Cleaningā€¦
may be after getting some replacements :stuck_out_tongue:

My brand new Rytm has been in repair for about a month because of a faulty encoder.
Iā€™m supposed to get it back tomorrow.
Harggg ! I canā€™t wait.

if you have the tools/experience its pretty easy really. you can do the job in half an hour. if you want to replace all the encoders you might look at replacing them with better quality ALPS or panasonic push ones. trial and error!

ThatĀ“s something I canĀ“t afford!

IĀ“ll try to get the original ones so I can get the actual specs, then, with more time may be IĀ“ll try a full replace.
tnx!

How long it took before the failing?
I already received my A4, should I watch out for encoders?

[/quote]
One year and a half, with some plays in Brazil and Mexico in open air parties with lots of dust and moisture :stuck_out_tongue:
So donĀ“t worry too much about it
:slight_smile:

thats about right, i wouldnā€™t put it down to dust or moisture thoughā€¦ the encoders are packed with a silicon lubricant which both repels moisture and seals the component there is no means for large particles like dust to enter,
if there is dust in there you will feel the crunch, if not its just the standard elektron encoder failure that comes from using cheap parts. they are definitely not worth even 4euro each! and Elektron should be supplying replacements nearer cost imo as they are inferior in quality to many other types of encoder and these machines rely heavily on these controls. like i said already, they come out of the box already intermittent sometimes and often fail within 2 years. They are 30000 turn encoders that fail at much less than that in the real world

[/quote]
yes
but you might get lucky :slight_smile:
buy a midi controller for mindless rough tweaking duties

So the failure on this cheap encoders is related to what exactly?
Cleaning is pointless?
Tnx!

hey, i cant say for sure why they failā€¦ can only speak from my experience with them for over 10 years using elektron silver boxes ā€¦ i havnā€™t had any issues with my octatrack though and thats 2 or 3 years old now.
my gut feeling is just that the build of some encoders lets them down, maybe itā€™s certain batches that are not as good as others or just quality control in production. i think some random bad ones just start to break down internally.
you can spray with deoxit or similar contact cleaner and it usually ā€˜fixesā€™ them for a while but as you know it will strip the grease from inside the encoder and once the lubricant is gone they can just get worse after a while.
if i were you iā€™d just put 1 drop of deoxit on the base of the shaft and work it inā€¦ it will fix them while you wait for replacements from Elektron. then once they start to go again you can spray more or just replace them.

great! tnx!