Classical world instruments

Yes, I downloaded them all, and I’m going to use a lot of the sounds, but few of them are “normal”; I like to balance classical sounds and insane sounds (instruments and instruments).

So, it’s sort of sounding like if I want to use classical instruments, use it on my digitakt (ARG Y IS THERE NO POLYPHONY!!!), and if I want to use crazyface sounds, get those out of the digitone. I can live with this, but I miss playing piano and hitting four keys at a time for a chord, lol.

I’m assuming the digitone can’t sequence like a piano on the digitakt polyphonically, right?

What do you think is the most fool-proof/beginner friendly way of sequencing classical instruments with the digitone? Like, should I get a bunch of vsts in ableton? Should I get some other synth (what do you recommend) that has all this stuff inside it, and have the tone sequence it?

these are both very incredible machines and I love them both, I’m just bumping up against getting polyphony with some traditional instruments… if I could add that, then all the other craziness I’m doing, sampling ghost in the shell, making insane changing drum patterns, etc., would fit into this larger whole that I think would really work for me.

I really hope the next big thing from Elektron will be a polyphonic „Rompler“. Why is no one making those anymore? Wavetable big thing … FM …ANALOG … but for a simple choir I have to use hardware from the 80s? 40 years old hardware? Older than me? Or of course buy NI Ultimate Komplete super pro / Omnisphere and then rather watch YouTube on my PC because I got mails telling me that my fav channel got a new video up. But then again watching YouTube is more fun than adjusting the 1000 knobs hidden behind 10 submenu with the mouse / touchpad anyways. /endrant

4 Likes

If you … like me … are a keyboard player or pianist … ask yourself, wether a step sequencer is the right thing. All Elektron sequencers are step sequencers. When I play keyboard to record MIDI live, I use a linear sequencer.

Again, if step sequencing is appropriate for the kind of your music the DN will do. A piece of Bach wouldn’t sound wrong, if played by a step sequencer :wink: but a piece of laid back Jazz with grace notes and triplets might suffer.

I have no general answer for this. For realistic classical mechanical instruments I wouldn’t even suggest a synth, I would go and find a rompler/sampler instrument with good reputation. We can have this as VST like NI Kontakt instruments, or as hardware. Important is to define, which sounds excactly are required. There are plenty options.

1 Like

Done.

One of the best hardware made for realistic instruments with realtime control is probably the YAMAHA VL1.

4 Likes

yes, exaxtly - VL1 is from 1994. This will look nice next to my Elektron devices! But first I gotta get a table … and new bigger flat

1 Like

Or VL1M

1 Like

OKOK, maybe this is bananas in pajamas, but is there just some fricking VL1 (I listened to it on youtube and… wow) like box that I can just plug my digitone into (control it with the digitone). I actually don’t even like playing on a keyboard, I love the step sequencer, but I just want to have a bank of sounds like this… taking suggestions; also don’t eat me alive, bc I’m new at this, lol.

Anyone got some sound banks for the VL1M and a MacBook adapter for my floppy disk drive? Also can I mount my Digitone and Digitone on the frontpanel? :smile:

2 Likes

A QY70 or QY100 has plenty of sounds (600 or more). Possible to tweak drastically with pitchbend, filter, fx…

Made this with QY100 sequenced by Octatrack + voice. Classic general midi instruments, with program change randomization. All sounds coming from QY100.

3 Likes

Compliments, sounds great and it’s totally different from what we have here at Nauts, though :+1:

And X-Mas is quite close as well … :smiley:

1 Like

C’est magnifique! Best Remix ever of Jingle Bells. J’adore! Reminds me of Noze.

1 Like

Oh yes, and the tone can’t sequence the takt, right? I’ve got a lot of great samples on the takt I wish I could play polyphonically with the tone… but I think that’s not possible…?

Possible.

Also possible with RK002 or other midi processors.

Not sure it’s the best way to get realistic results though.

I think the deal with that cable is that you have to give up many tracks, like if you want to play a cord you have to give up three tracks… (but if they were midi tracks I wouldn’t care… :sweat_smile:)

The limitation comes from DT not the cable.
Btw if you don’t want to sacrifice tracks, you can plock sounds on tracks and play chords over with midi (setting a default track sample for the chords) . I rather plock a chord > resampling.

Can you explain this a little more?

When you say realistic you mean realistic sounds yes? I feel like I have “adequately realistic sounds” on my digitakt (a great rhodes sample, e.g.), but then the problem becomes polyphony, but if you’re saying I could sequence this rhodes via the tone (polyphonically) without giving up too many tracks… I’d be into it.

For me this would be sounds, which are as close as possible to the sounds of the real instrument.

This includes that the sound is true over the range of pitches and if possible playing techniques. This can’t be achieved with one single sample. Most instruments have different frequency spectrum structures at different pitches and if played differently. If we take one middle C, play and sample it, and then let the sampler do the pitching, the pitches will be right, but the sounds will tend to be “wrong”, if the pitch is too far away from the original pitch of the sample. Thats the reason, why realistic sounding sampled instruments use “multi-samples”. Can the DT do this, without a combersome workaround?

1 Like