Circle maps

Here’s a patch on a Digitone using Pure Data to create melodies from a circle map. You can read about circle maps here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CircleMap.html

6 Likes

nice tune and visuals, the maths is way over my head though. is the circle map being used to generate the midi data?

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been having fun with the visuals using Hyperspektiv.

Yes, the circle map is used to generate the midi data. Circle maps are used to describe various dynamic systems; for example, a free-spinning wheel weakly coupled by a torsional spring to a motor.

In certain regions, the equation can “lock on to itself” and generate a somewhat chaotic circle. Each generated numerical value from the circle is then scaled and mapped onto a pentatonic musical note. Each note value is sent out as midi to create a melody.

Different regions of the equation lock on to different chaotic circles. In some regions the chaotic circles slowly evolve, making for a developing melody. So, you have a generative tune that goes on forever. Fun.

2 Likes

Forgot to say that, the notes coming out aren’t random, but follow the behavior of a physical dynamic system.

I understand it better now. That’s really interesting, what a cool idea for a note generator! Interested to hear more experiments using this concept.

1 Like

Super deep and explorative!
Nice work and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Here’s another one like Circle maps, but using the map of the Mandelbrot set with random rhythms. The chaotic oscillations just outside the set are mapped onto a scale to generate musical notes.

Wife said these are all starting to sound the same, so I’m going to stop making these.