Chord Machine sounds dull

Me too :wink:

19 Likes

Now that’s the kind of input I was expecting ! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I have mostly used the unison mode of the Chord machine actually, I find that great for sound design. Layer a few detuned sinewaves and then add some LFO modulation (with noise preferably) to make it sound a bit rougher.

For example this track from the M:C demos/factory uses the chord machine with a random LFO on panning to achieve a sort of pseudo-reverb:

I belive the “snare/clap” sound is also a Chord machine with some LFO noise modulating pitch. It’s a cool trick for weird percussion sounds.

19 Likes

Interesting as I think my favorite “clap” on the MC was a Chord machine doing just that!
It was called Golf, I think.

2 Likes

Yeah, chord machine claps were great on M:C

1 Like

I wouldn’t have thought of that by myself. Thanks @Fin25 & @Ess.

2 Likes

Syntakt is monophonic

And chord machine makes chords.

The Chord machine sorely lacks a good Chorus effect IMO.

3 Likes

Has the chord machine lost focus as a company?

11 Likes

nooooo … please noooo

2 Likes

sorry :grimacing:

1 Like

This is lovely!

Re: Chord machine in general. I’m not a huge fan of the actual chords, but I do like it in unison mode, and for claps/ weird pitched percussion. Slow the LFO on a clap-like sound from it and you get some really lovely, wet squelches.

1 Like

One could also argue that the chord machine sounds “boxy” or “muddy” and ruins a mix with that :wink:

As you said, having options would be awesome - since we have two filters and can easily decide what to do with it.

2 Likes

yea good point I’m probably being too generous looking for motivations :laughing:

1 Like

They are synthesized chords though right? As far as I know, they don’t actually produce the midi data representing a chord.

Never spoke about midi tho.

The digital machines are merely serviceable when juxtaposed with the analog ones. They need to be dressed up in the FX Block. Which itself is a great addition to the box but for as immediate as Syntakt is, and in classic Elektron fashion, you have to find a workaround, or supplement the problem with additional gear.

1 Like

Most wrong statement of the year

14 Likes

I found an audio rate random lfo on M:C to the volume/dist gave the chords a little more cutting power but yeah this is possibly an area where the M:C distortion gives it a slight edge.

2 Likes