Chord Machine sounds dull

Yeah, but then again, we are comparing a machine for double the price that wants to do it all against a drum machine that bangs the OP-1 out sonically. Even Cycles achieves that IMO for 200 euros used.

Doesn’t seem too hard to add a saw, square any brighter waveform ! If you listen/see carefully last waveforms, they are identical from 124 to 127. For me it’s enough to improve it, but maybe some people would complain…:sad:

3 Likes

You won´t be able to sweep it with and LFO since the transitions would be hard which wouldn´t match the rest of the “wavetable”. Would be better to add them close to the softer versions of those shapes instead (by holding FUNC + waveform you can scroll in-between them today)…if needed. I´m not complaining :wink:

1 Like

But that feature will probably never be added because…

…with one machine. You need to buy another one.

I honestly got a bit disappointed discovering that the crunch and lo-fi sound of the Cycles machines had been “refined” in the Syntakt. I have some really nice patterns that just sounds Meh on the Syntakt. Bought the ST for the added functionality.

1 Like

Yea it feels cynical to say but I’m fairly sure this is a business as much as a product design decision.

It’s not that they couldn’t provide more poly functionality, it’s that it would eat into the GAS you have for the Digitone.

Elektron are absolute masters at giving you 90% of what you need whilst leaving that 10% on another box.

5 Likes

I’m still praying for the day the Syntakt gets some kind of poly-track link functionality. Because DVCO or SY Bits or SY Toy x3 would be dub heaven through those digital and analog fx/filters…

We should all spend time mentioning this in the the-syntakt-feature-request-thread

6 Likes

I’m still praying for the day the Model:Cycles gets SY Toy

1 Like

put it in the MC request thread! Add your voice! And the clap machine too!

2 Likes

Already done (back in April) :). I honestly don’t really expect it to happen, but it would make my day if it did.

1 Like

M8 have a lot of capabilities with just 8 tracks. Not analog but it is cheaper, more portable, can sample, re-sample and render stems. :wink: I honestly don’t care about analog that much since digital can replicate that sound pretty close these days.

If they would have keep the grit of the Cycles machines in the Syntakt. the analog wouldn’t add much to the digital machines in my opinion. The Cycles grit sounds better than running the machines through the analog drive/filters.

It´s a yes because you are putting value into the analog part and they use that to validate the x4 price jump from Cycles. Track count doesn’t matter that much with trackers like M8 or elektrons.

I regret not buying one for £730 when they were on sale at KMR. It’s become my new price anchor too so now I need to wait for another big sale …

1 Like

The M:C produced for me useable sounds only with external distortion, so it had to go.

Syntakt has distortion built-in and can be gritty af, and it can be even more brutal than those examples).

2 Likes

I’m not talking about distortion. Read the thread I posted earlier.

I did. But all the sounds in the first vid are done with a machine that the Model Cycles desn’t even have, and doesn’t even require distortion to sound huge. But being able to change volume and overdrive independently, and being able to decide what goes into the analog distortion opens worlds.

Treating Syntakt as M:C probably only leads to grief.

2 Likes

To some, not everyone.

You mean the Digi standard another LFO, a proper envelope per track + 2 more tracks and some more digital machines that Ess probably created during Cycles development?

++ your arrogant “Didn’t think so…” :joy: but anyways…

From my perspective, owning Cycles first, it felt like they added the analog to motivate the Digi price point + extra 200 euro when the only thing I was after were real envelopes + another LFO.

Then again, different tastes and opinions of what matters to us. That’s why we are here, right?

What can sound gritty to some, can sound trash to others. :wink:

In regards to the track count it is probably based of the capacity of the CPU that they use in all Digi hardwares, not generosity on their side. I therefore don’t see it as added value when it comes to two more digital tracks at the higher price point. Specially not in a tracker machine like the Elektrons.

Don´t get me wrong, I love the Digi machines. Specially the Digitone. Loving the Syntakt as well even though they changed things. :wink:

I don´t thing nobody is nor will be that stupid at that price point but there are always corner cases.

So I don’t know what ”grit” means for others, usually something else for any person in a thread. If it’s some kind of “punch” (another one of those words) … well, most machines have a parameter for pitch envelope. so it’s possible to set octave lower and make one’s own hard hitting pitch envelope with one of the LFOs and still have one left. And so on ….

2 Likes

anyone knows how to achieve this kind of stabs on the Syntakt ? (even with another machine than Chord Machine)

With grit, I mean the quality of the original, un-pitched, sound source. Punch is related to dynamic compression. A lower bit, sample rate, noise or feedback can create “grit” or “crunch” depending on taste. But I guess you already know this.