Chord inversions?

When entering chords, they appear with the root note the lowest. But how do you make inversions?

you can enter the inversion’s notes (in order) into an online chord identifier (reverse chord lookup tool) and rename the inversion to a chord which contains the same notes in proper order but has the desired root note’s name (as opposed to the key notes name).

I know this is not the answer you’re hoping for but it’s a working solution.

https://www.scales-chords.com/chordid.php

2 Likes

That sounds complicated.
You can enter inversions (or any notes you want) by turning off chords and pressing the correct notes in sequence, manually and then pressing yes, to accept the notes to the trig.
For instance, I pressed G and B on the virtual keyboard, which entered G4 and B4 in the top right corner. Then I pressed the up key to transpose the keyboard and then the E key. This entered E5 in the top right corner. Then I pressed yes, to enter the chord, which is an inversion on the Em chord.

It’s not complicated, the method itself is very simple, but it is involved. Manually entering notes as you’ve done is always an option, or you could also enter a chord and then while in grid recording mode, edit the notes using the trig + track note to add or remove notes from the trig.

From your description it seemed like you were looking for a way to enter inversions using chord mode so that’s what I gave you, but it’s good that you were able to figure out something that worked for you on your own.

Well, you can enter the chord in chord mode and then switch off chord mode. Now, you can add or remove any note you like.
For instance: I had entered a Bm chord. Then I wanted to hear how it sounded with a Bm7 instead. I just pressed the trig plus note key, to open note edit mode. Then turned off chord mode, pressed the up key to get to an octave above and pressed the A key. This added an A5 to the existing Bm chord. VoilĂ , a Bm7 chord.

1 Like