Choosing the last piece of the puzzle

Howdy folks,
After many years, i have finally got the the end of my gear selection. Currently, i have:

A4,MD,OT and the OP-1.

The final piece of the puzzle for me was to buy a AR, thinking it would give me the updated drum samples that the MD will never be able to produce. To date though, I’ve not done anything, With the release of the DT and now the MKii of the Rytm, i am totally confused which way to jump.

You might ask what i do with these. I use no DAW, i just make stuff up as i go having the units all linked together and zone out of the corporate world i work in at the end of each day. It’s soothing and helps me unwind. I don’t record my work, and i only use midi for sync. (Boring hey!)

I’m no expert, and struggle getting my head around the OT, but i love them, and wouldn’t sell any cause they are just awesome. I have plenty of room to keep them set up and will stop buying more after this last purchase, Choosing then to really sink my teeth into them and the challenge they bring.

After watching hours and hours of video and reading hours and hours of posts about both the Rytm and DT, I’m still stuck which unit will finish off the system i have put together.

Any feedback from you all would be great,

To simplify the task, the notable features of the two might be:
AR = analogue drum synthesis
DT = MIDI sequencer with trig conditions (but somewhat rough right now)

Which would help you “finish off” your system? Can you wait until the DT’s bugs are ironed out?

That’s a difficult one, as you already have an octatrack I personally would go with the rytm, you might find that once you have got used to using that and the low end it produces, you can forward on your MD to get some funds back, out of all my kit the rytm is the piece I would miss the most, yes it does not have the same sampling capabilities of the DT, but having the octatrack can justify this! Plus the rytm just fuxking rocks! Mk1 or not, it’s one hell of a machine IMHO

Start a eurorack of course. That way you can always buy more and/or constantly be trying new things.
edit: I suppose I’m saying to start another puzzle inside your puzzle.

3 Likes

Buy a recorder so you can save your work :wink:

3 Likes

haha don’t do this it’s a fucking rabbit hole

You already have plenty.
Get to know each machine better.
You should be able to get analog kicks from A4, that you can sample in OT.
No real need for another piece, if you’re unsure of what you should get next, it’s because you don’t really need it.

I’d get a proper recording setup, if I were you.
A good way to finish tracks and move on.

5 Likes

Haha famous last words
I said that once :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

i can understand that its tempting
but what do you need (what kind of improvement can rytm or dt give to you)?

md, ot and a4. you got all bases covered
id grab a nice effect for octatracks cue outputs (like one of the oto boxes or just some random guitar pedals)

1 Like

Took on all the advice given, and still had to jump…Digitakt is proving to be the right choice for me rather than the Rytm.

Learning curve is minor, and i have found its helping with my understanding of the octatrack…not sure how exactly, but i have absorbed more of the octatrack in the last week then i have in two years.

Boxes complete…now for new studio monitors, hedd Maybe…

Good luck. If you want something to truely be your last piece of gear, you’d need to stay offline and away from music forums.

1 Like

Just when I think the hunt is over, someone comes out with something that has all of the features I was looking for in something I already had, plus new stuff that I originally wanted in there too. Staying off the interwebs is probably the best advice on this thread! I grabbed up the DT to continue my “gotta gave them all”itus, I’m already down to just OT, DT, and MD as far as elektron gear to make way for the new models. i may hold on to the OT since it’s still new for me but I’ve been offering it up in trades because MK2. I don’t need them and they really don’t add any thing much to what I did have. I like the way DT is and would like the rest of my elektrons to be the same. I’m glad you got the DT. Although, DT with AR mk1 would pretty much negate ever needing MK2. I have yet to own an AR, but love what I see from the videos. Here’s to making some good music, to everyone!

1 Like