Chompi

6 Likes

A blackbox the size of a reface with keys would be nice.

$599 seems pricey. But, when I consider that Noise Engineeringā€™s Versio platform, which runs on Daisy as well, is $393, the Chompi pricing is ā€œlikelyā€ in line with the hardware.

Itā€™s up to potential buyers to determine if itā€™s worth that much. Nifty little bit of hardware but not something I would consider (and not because of pricing).

1 Like

awful lot of knob wobble for 600.

5 Likes

I think this looks fun and inspiring. I half regret selling my OP-1 and would buy an OP-1 Field in a heartbeat if I had 2k just sitting around doing nothing but this funny little box could be just what Iā€™m looking for

1 Like

Iā€™d buy it in pink.

4 Likes

Yeah, at $600 it seems extremely pricey but it does mention early bird pricing.

I do realize a lot of the cost is probably going into just the hardware itself, less of the functionality. It does mention it uses hot swappable cherry red keys and the key caps, if they are custom, could be pricey. Anyone who has witnessed the shock and horror of the custom computer keyboard world will know that shit can be real expensive.

But I am intrigued, partly because Iā€™ve taken to collecting weird samplers and also enjoy the playful design. I will say that theres something to be said about using a simple looper like this, rather than a full blown sequencer.

3 Likes

better be topre at that price

2 Likes

I like the immediacy of the sampling ala the Casio SK-1. Iā€™m not going to say itā€™s expensive because any product produced in small numbers wonā€™t be cheap. But it seems like perhaps including more functionality in the software would make the the price more palatable relative to other options out there.

1 Like

Pink is an extra $100 :champagne:

4 Likes

First of all, I love it.

Quick question, though: am I panicked about the fire, or am I being brave for everyone else?

Looks interesting. Considering it for my son.

Anyone know how it would compare to an Organelle M?

Can an Organelle M do everything it did in the video?

if there is a script, then: yes, of course.
https://www.critterandguitari.com/tags/sampler

1 Like

I wonder if Iā€™d be so intrigued had it different key. I wish more of my gear had them. Love 909 style keycaps. Wonder if the handle can be removed without too much fuss. Itā€™ll get in the way.

looks like itā€™s just plastic bolted onto the chassis. probably can be removed with a hex key.

1 Like

See above

2 Likes

Hello everyone :slight_smile: My name is Tobiasā€¦ creator of CHOMPI. A couple of you asked if I could jump on here and field some questions you might have around the platform. Let me first start off by saying thanks so much for all of the interest in our little instrument! As an artist, Iā€™m a die hard Octatrack userā€¦ and have a special place in my heart for this community :wink:
Couple things straight away:

• CHOMPI is designed to feel a little bit like a video game. You can think of this first ā€œhelloā€ video as the intro tutorial mode when you first start the game. Once you get a sense for the overall workflow and controlsā€¦ you move into the next ā€œlevelā€, etcā€¦ The current firmware has a total of 4 operating modes (aka: levels) & we have many more modes/engines planned for the future. (Ex: Wavetable Synth, Simple FM Synth, Percussion Synth, etcā€¦)

• Additionally, the instrument is built on the Daisy Seed platform by ElectroSmith. This allows us to offer a wide array of firmware options, ranging from beginner to expert! It also opens up the possibility for folks to program their own firmware features using a wide array of language options (pure data, Max MSP, C++, etcā€¦)

• Regarding price: We hear youā€¦ but hopefully when you start to frame CHOMPI as a USB-C powered, stand alone, eurorack sampler/looper (6hrs of dynamic stereo sampling time)ā€¦ with user configurable (free) firmware options and customizable hardwareā€¦ it starts to make more sense? If notā€¦ thatā€™s ok too :sunny:

57 Likes

Well that soundsā€¦really dope

2 Likes

Yeah. You can think of it like a hardware platform for Daisy.m if you wanna build your own stuff

1 Like

Okā€¦. Price is starting to make more sense now. This seems to be more of an organelle competitor then.

I love my organelle m and love how fun the simple sequencer (more of a midi looper) is, so a tape looper makes it pretty interesting. Will definitely be scouting the Kickstarter page on the 28th.

1 Like