Chompi

Looks interesting. Considering it for my son.

Anyone know how it would compare to an Organelle M?

Can an Organelle M do everything it did in the video?

if there is a script, then: yes, of course.
https://www.critterandguitari.com/tags/sampler

1 Like

I wonder if Iā€™d be so intrigued had it different key. I wish more of my gear had them. Love 909 style keycaps. Wonder if the handle can be removed without too much fuss. Itā€™ll get in the way.

looks like itā€™s just plastic bolted onto the chassis. probably can be removed with a hex key.

1 Like

See above

2 Likes

Hello everyone :slight_smile: My name is Tobiasā€¦ creator of CHOMPI. A couple of you asked if I could jump on here and field some questions you might have around the platform. Let me first start off by saying thanks so much for all of the interest in our little instrument! As an artist, Iā€™m a die hard Octatrack userā€¦ and have a special place in my heart for this community :wink:
Couple things straight away:

• CHOMPI is designed to feel a little bit like a video game. You can think of this first ā€œhelloā€ video as the intro tutorial mode when you first start the game. Once you get a sense for the overall workflow and controlsā€¦ you move into the next ā€œlevelā€, etcā€¦ The current firmware has a total of 4 operating modes (aka: levels) & we have many more modes/engines planned for the future. (Ex: Wavetable Synth, Simple FM Synth, Percussion Synth, etcā€¦)

• Additionally, the instrument is built on the Daisy Seed platform by ElectroSmith. This allows us to offer a wide array of firmware options, ranging from beginner to expert! It also opens up the possibility for folks to program their own firmware features using a wide array of language options (pure data, Max MSP, C++, etcā€¦)

• Regarding price: We hear youā€¦ but hopefully when you start to frame CHOMPI as a USB-C powered, stand alone, eurorack sampler/looper (6hrs of dynamic stereo sampling time)ā€¦ with user configurable (free) firmware options and customizable hardwareā€¦ it starts to make more sense? If notā€¦ thatā€™s ok too :sunny:

57 Likes

Well that soundsā€¦really dope

2 Likes

Yeah. You can think of it like a hardware platform for Daisy.m if you wanna build your own stuff

1 Like

Okā€¦. Price is starting to make more sense now. This seems to be more of an organelle competitor then.

I love my organelle m and love how fun the simple sequencer (more of a midi looper) is, so a tape looper makes it pretty interesting. Will definitely be scouting the Kickstarter page on the 28th.

1 Like

Looks fun for sure!

1 Like

Not sure if its for me but love those keys

6 Likes

Would definitely like to know what kind of feel the knobs have. Makes a big difference in a device like this. Personally I prefer the slower feel of the Bluebox or LXR-02

1 Like

I understand heā€™s probably using a prototype device and I respect someone who does their own pr and comes on here and makes an account just to answer our questions so Iā€™m hesitant to say what I actually think, but when I watch people use things that I would consider paying for - I look for certain benchmarks of quality - when I see the knobs being turned, I look to see if they seem loose. I really like the way my rocket sounds but the knobs are unbelievably wobbly and itā€™s offputting, it makes it feel like waldorf was not concerned with making a quality product. So when I watch a demo, I look to see if there is any visible play in the knobs/encoders when a device is being demoā€™d.

2 Likes

yes, i agree. but this seems to be a prototype, so letĀ“s hope there arenĀ“t wobbly knobs in the final product (like in the roland sh-d4 :smiley:)

1 Like

@CHOMPI Congrats for designing this instrument! The one thing that keeps me wondering if Chompi will be for me is that your website says ā€œUnique SCREENLESS WORKFLOW w/ RGB LEDā€: As I am red-green color-blind (like 10% of the male population), I am wondering if I will be able to discern the various states of Chompi.

I have been using both the Elektron A4 and OT from the moment they have been available, but always struggled with their red-orange-green LED color scheme. Luckily most states were also communicated via the display, so I was able to work around my disability. But the moment the A4 MkII and OT MkII appeared with the blue-capable LEDs (as introduced with Digitakt), I sold my first generation instruments and bought the MkII versions.

So my question is if there is a chance to have user-adjustable LED color states? Thanks much in advance for your answer ā€“ I keep my fingers crossed for the campaign going well!

6 Likes

Iā€™m definitely in. When is the KS going live?

28th March

Looks cool but even at 499ā‚¬ kickstarter pricing itā€˜s too pricey for me for what it is/I can see it is.

3 Likes

CHOMPI uses a very similar type of encoder as the Elektron boxes: PEC11R-4020F-S0024
However, they have a metal D-Shaft instead of the plastic.

Hopefully that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ll post my email response here for others to see:

ā€œIronically, I also struggle with my vision (especially with the tiny screens). To answer your question directly, yes the LED States will be user adjustableā€¦ but weā€™re also considering offering a firmware that would remove the ā€œcolorā€ gradient and use a ā€œdimmingā€ control over the brightness level of the LEDā€™s for folks with color blindness. Either way, there should be a fairly easy way to customize CHOMPI to fit your needs.ā€

9 Likes