Choice of iPad?

That’s what I figured. I was all about buying the latest and (semi-greatest) but then I realized that, for my purposes, I’d be better off spending the money on apps (and this obscure MIDI controller called a Digitar).

1 Like

up until this week I had a 32 GB 2017 ipad… never maxed it out, although I would take care of deleting old files, transferring stuff to my computer once in a while (specially for easier editing, etc.)…
it’s actually a good habit anyway, I think.

a friend came to visit from the US (I live in Argentina) so I asked him for a 128GB ipad 2018 iPad… so I can relax a bit about space - I think that’s more than enough for me…
I guess it depends on how you will use it

Hey I’m reviving this thread after seeing the op post something on Instagram.

I see vcv rack has a download for iPad? miRack I believe? This interests me.

Reading through some of this I see I want an iPad with 64-bit OS. Which one is the safest bet? Which one is the most bang for my buck? I’m happy to buy a refurbished unit from ebay or something.

Also, is iPad the only choice? Or can I use another tablet?

What other cool synth things are on an iPad? I think this would be fun for me to take on the go or bring to coffee shops when I’m waiting for someone.

EDIT: What about bluetooth vs non-bluetooth?

Loads of cool synths now on iPad.

Factory
Aparillo
Continua
Spacecraft
Synthmaster One
Animoog
Moog Model 15

Etc.

And coming soon (or maybe not so soon) modular groovebox Drambo.

1 Like

Drambo has been ‘coming soon’ for a few years now. I don’t reckon they’re able to sort the bugs out, as it should have been released by now.

Just go for the 2019, 10.2 inch model. $350.00. More than enough power to run any and all music apps.

I bought a used iPad pro 10.5 over the new iPad base model (actually I use 2 in my setup).

The laminated display on the Pro/Air models greatly improves the ability to perform on the iPad. The base model screen feels mushy and weird to me. Most iOS devices have the laminated display, I think it’s just the recent base iPad model that doesn’t…

Well I just bought a fifth gen iPad off Ebay for a decent price. Here’s to making sounds while laying in bed or sitting at a coffee shop

1 Like

Anyone got ideas on how to do midi sync and audio out simultaneously on the new iPad Pro’s? I want to sync to external clock but that leaves me with no way to get audio out. is there an interface that will do both over the one usb c port?thought id post here before I made a new thread, probably something to consider for anyone choosing an ipad

have fun. And don‘t buy too many apps at once!!

You can plug multiple usb devices into the iPad using a USB-C hub. Only one audio interface will work at a time, but you can connect as many midi gadgets as you want

3 Likes

I was just gonna start with miRack

1 Like

I got the newest iPad pro as my graduation gift this past December & I only have positive things to say about it—it might be the best synth I’ve ever had (lol). The USB-C port on the iPad makes audio & midi I/O a breeze with my pre-existing gear as well—no issues using any audio interfaces given they’re class compliant.

Right now my setup is an iPad, Scarlett 2i4, and Digitakt: Scarlett connects to iPad as its sound card with USB C adapter, Digitakt Audio output goes through scarlett, & Digitakt sequences iPad through Scarlett’s midi ports.

Workflow so far feels surprisingly lean and focused. Just treating the iPad like a synth(s) instead of something like a traditional DAW works in all the ways a Personal Computer could never.

Plenty of really good apps for making sounds too. Only downside is that most of the apps worth using cost money. Not that much comparatively though.

I see miRack’s already been recommended plenty, still, I’ve been enjoying using it with DT a lot. Fractal Bits is another one that I feel like I’ve been getting a good bang for buck out of as well, great for getting interesting Percussive sounds to feed to DT & chop up.

2 Likes

I can thoroughly vouch on the “apps are like cheeseburgers” comment :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m loving it with my iPhone XS and Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter (USB+Lightning power). 2 in, 4 out, the headphone out can really drive headphones too thanks to the battery/DC5V power. Very lightweight, and stable at lower latencies. MIDI i/o is a big bonus

Should have bought this a year ago.

2 Likes

U-44 is my swapper:+1:

Wondering what the latest ipad pro which featured a headphone jack is? anyone know what model last had the 3.5mm jack as stock

I believe that will be the iPad Pro 2nd gen (10.5"/12.9" models). TBH I find the dongle less annoying than I thought so I wouldn’t necessarily buy based on that

are they lacking compared to the newer models?

Performance wise not really, they’ll be fine. The design of the newer models is much nicer, as the screen goes right to the edge, so you get more screen space compared to device size. If you care about the Pencil, the generation 2 pencil is much better than the gen 1, especially in the way it magnetically attaches to the iPad.

If you don’t care about these things and can get a cheap gen 2, it’ll keep going for a long time performance wise tho.