Choice : Elektron analog rytm mk2 and elektron analog four mk2 or Roland mc707 and tr8s for techno / trance?

Hello, I would like to put together a set for minimal techno and trance / trance uplifting and I will like your opinion on some material. Can you tell me if the Analog Rythm MK2 and the Analog four mk2 are as suitable as the Roland mc 707 and the tr8s. By that I mean functionality, power and scalability. Apparently Elektron products are not at all easy to learn, is this really the case? the Elektrons can they stand on their own or better to pair them with other grooveboxes like the two Roland. I also thought to take a mb33 and as a synth a korg xd rack and more generalist an Electribe 2. Thank you in advance for your answers.

No, it’s not the case. Elektron instruments are incredibly intuitive. They may have their own sense of logic and their own terminology you need to come to terms with, but there is a consistency that just makes sense. You will probably do some manual reading and youtube tutorial watching, but there will be very few instances of you saying “That’s how that works? That’s dumb. Who designed this crap?”

I’d say both–really up to you. Elektron boxes are deep, so if you have one you might not also want to deal with another groovebox but maybe instead a nice little synth or drum machine.

What have you used before? What did you like about it?
How long have you been making music?
Are you intending to limit yourself to only making the above genres?
What are your deal breakers?
Are you aiming at live shows or studio work?
Is this gear choice in addition to, or replacement of other gear?
How did you arrive at the fourfold list that you mentioned in your post?

Only you can decide what to get. No one else will do it for you. Sure opinions are out there. But thats the problem, they are other peoples opinions .

Is reading opinions useful?

4 Likes

I think the MC707 and A4 MKII would cover a lot of ground for you.

My partner purchased, but hasn’t dug into yet, an MC707. I own the TR8S and A4 MKII. Haven’t played with an AR of any mark. Techno is a pretty broad term these days. It means many different things to as many different people. Trance is a bit more narrow in scope. I do think the above mentioned pieces would be a great setup though.

Thank you for your answers. I will answer them in more detail later. If you still have any advice and suggestions, please let me know. Thank you again for your feedback, advice and advice.

Thanks for your response, GirTheRobot. Glad to read that the Elektron not that complicated. I suspect that operating philosopher apart from other products. Yeah, maybe a drum machine and some synths. Ideas ? I thought maybe Korg or Dave Smith, but in rack version for example.

Microtribe I made music a few years ago, I had a mac pro and a protools system. Hardwares and vst synths. Here I am starting from scratch. Need advice for a new set. I only plan to do minimal techno and trance uplifting. I don’t want to go through IT anymore, just hardware. I don’t plan on doing a live. Why this list of material and good after viewing videos on YouTube and having a little look at their functions and uses for my musical style. So, I told myself that Elektron and Roland were a good idea and that for the Synths part why not Korg or Dave Smith for example. Yes for me very important opinion, feedback, opinions are used to make a more precise idea and therefore a choice. In addition, on an Elektron forum, I don’t think I came across better for good information.

d4ydream thank you for your opinion. I intend to compose minimal Techno. The Elektron and Roland duo seems to be a good compromise. Like synths and other materials, what would be your idea?

Any of these boxes (elektron or roland) will require deep diving with a manual to actually get any worth. I think the roland will be more immediate without much manual diving so you might think that makes it better. But the elektrons imo will be deeper long term.

1 Like

Ultimately it doesnt matter which ones you pick. There is no right/wrong/best etc.
Do your research and pick the ones that appeal the most.
Make music.
Enjoy.

1 Like

I’d say the MC-707 is the most ‘all-in-one’ on your shortlist. You’d probably be fine with just that device alone. Save some money and see how things go from there, and what you’re missing.

As I’m not an expert in midi program changes, and don’t use a DAW (so I use my Elektron projects to save my music), I really am a fan of a combination of Elektrons.

The Rolands would be like going on a nice pre-planned vacation visiting a lot of classic, old favourite spots. You’ll see amazing things, and you’ll have a great time. It’s a nice relaxing vacation and you have a nice time.

The Elektrons would be like picking a cool destination to travel to and seeing what happens. The first two days it’ll rain, but you’ll talk to locals and find some hidden gems off the beaten path. It won’t necessarily be the trip you imagine, but you’ll have amazing experiences and go to places you didn’t even know existed.

7 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answers. It is judicious it is true to choose a minimum of machines and to know how to exploit them to the maximum, the wisest decision indeed. It is true that the Mc 707 can in a way be sufficient on its own because it has a lot of potential and sounds of on-board synths. I really like Elektron products because there are certainly possibilities to go further in sound research and sound exploitation. But what makes me hesitate is the grip as already said. Now maybe the difference is at this price. Maybe a Mc 707 and Elektron Analog Four Mk2, a good compromise?

It is true the Roland tones used in abundance in electronic music, but also the reference. Okay, it’s clear that the Elektrons have to take much further in terms of creativity, but isn’t ergonomics a hindrance from the start? Can the Roland be simpler immediately?

The 707 is só versatile. Also a great sampler, so you can make it sound the way you like. Easy to build complete tracks or techno sets on it. Trance even better, because of the many relevant synth presets available. You can emulate classics like the sh-101 or the TB-303 (excellent pack by @darenager available elsewhere on this forum)

You can mangle samples and synth patches in so many ways…It can be really quick & hands on and also extremely (almost ridiculously) deep.

Tried the A4 MKII, OT MKII, Digitone and Digitakt. Really liked all of them, but on the OT and the A4 I found the menu/pattern/save-functions sometimes a bit confusing and counter intuitive. So I eventually landed with the 707. But there are so many brilliant tracks made with Elektron boxes, that it eventually boils down to: what’s the best and most enticing workflow for you?

I am gonna stick with the 707 for a while.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your response and detailed advice. I also think the Mc 707 is better because it is easier to use than the Elektron. I really like the Elektrons, but the ergonomics and handling seem too complex to me. I rather prefer products that are more immediate and easier to handle The Elektrons do wonderful things that is clear. But I think the Roland simpler to handle it seems to me. Thank you again for your feedback and advice. I wonder if the Aira range might not be the solution. Maybe later add a Korg Xd rack for example. What do you think ? Maybe you have other ideas for material?

It’s really up to you, XD also is a great choice. Before I bought the 707 I tried it in my local music store for an hour or so. I really gelled with it, so I was much more confident doing the purchase. And when I buy software I always try the trial version first.

One tip: if you are new in the game, start small and with one piece of gear. Buying too much stuff at once, makes it harder to master your gear and can eventually be overwhelming and demotivating.

The fastest way to a complete and polished track will always be a DAW like Ableton or FL, but the journey with hardware is just so much more fun.

Thank you for your feedback and advice. I am thinking of taking the Mc 707, it seems to me that I will be more at my ease, because more accessible than the Elektron. Regarding the Xd, it will be a good complement, even if a plethora of other choices such as synths, the Xd offers a lot of possibilities and a really excellent sound. I’ve had Fl Studio for quite a while. For my part, really made the rounds of the software, even if it is true more flexible and scalable and a really excellent and exceptional offer of possibilities of vst and plug-ins of effects. But computing remains in any case a constraint for certain things. Hardware, on the other hand, is more rigid and less scalable, but it offers a certain power of dedicated hardware and this is not at all negligible. I agree with you, too much material is harmful to learning and mastering the material. The reason for this post, in order to get to the point with a minimum machine or setup from the start.