Cheap Rack-mount Synths

I need to pick an inexpensive VA or FM rack-mount (or compact desktop) synth for Pyramid sequencing. I currently have Pyramid controlling my Machinedrum, Korg X5, and Nord Lead 3 and decided that I’m not into connecting it to my other Elektron grooveboxes (M:C and DNK) except for sync. I want the flight case to be basically a self-contained sound generator, so I need a few more synth parts.

Right now it’s between these: (costs in USD)

• Yamaha TX81Z (200 for one $350 for two)
  • Casio VZ-10m (300 supposedly great condition, gotta pick it up 3.5 hours away though. Would load it up with a bank of patches I curated on my long lost VZ-1)
  • Roland D-550 with multitimbrality expansion (prices are kind of heinous but maybe 600 if I’m lucky… also the programmer looks sweet but that adds more cost…)
  • Waldorf Micro-Q (if I can find one for cheap)
  • Waldorf Blofeld (400)
  • Roland JV-2080 (300-400)
  • MC-101 (400-500)
  • E-mu E6400

Sound wise I’m into dingy, dirty, full of character, unique.

Any other suggestions? Cheap is good right now. Minimum 4 parts 8 polyphony. Maybe a rompler with good filters and analog and FM style patches if anyone knows of one.

I’ve seen Micro Q’s for much less than that lately, more like 500-600 USD. Keep checking on Reverb. I had one for awhile, highly recommended if that’s the tone (Waldorf-y) you’re after.

Of the three others I would recommend the Casio for it’s complexity, flexibility and still-modern sound. Be aware you’ll want to program it with an editor though, it’s very deep.

If 6op FM is appealing the TX-802 is super powerful, and I see them pop up around 400 or so sometimes. Also don’t count out romplers like the Roland JV/XV series, with some creative programming they can do a lot for the money… I just picked up a 2080 again and am remembering all the tricks it can do.

3 Likes

Kawai K4r / K3r / K1r?

3 Likes

But… looking at your other synths, if you didn’t need four parts and could live with two the Micromonsta 2 would compliment nicely.

Also good options (except the K3 series is monotimbral I believe…)

1 Like

Listening to a demo - hey that thing can actually sound pretty analog.

I had a VZ-1 that I picked up for $200. My reason for selling? Didn’t want to lug it to the new place when I moved and had no place to store it. And it is hard to program. Got MIDI Quest to work, but clunky / unreliable. I honestly thought it was going to be cake to re-acquire in rack format since I have enough keys and it is sooo heavy. Like I thought the rack version would be LESS than 200. :clown_face:

Just idly searched soundsets for X5/X5D … check this out JayB's Sound Set for Korg X5D (X5, 05R/W, X5DR) [Trance, Progressive, House, EDM] - YouTube

Not my style of music, but those sounds could be a wicked starting point… and I don’t even have to buy anything.

I’m still really obsessed with the idea of a totally self-contained setup in a flight case plus the NL3 as controller / 4 more parts. Not that it is hard to set up the X5 nor do I see myself taking it to a ton of shows… grrr

1 Like

Tx81z every day of the week.

7 Likes

Check out this soundset demo for some recent programming of the JV series. Excellent for spacey/underwater/lush sounds.

3 Likes

That’s wild. Hard to believe how modern sounds people are getting out of these old romplers.

I’m getting into making ambient so you may have just sold me on this one. Big fan of the dark / silent hill esque vibes. Also bit of iamamiwhoami in places

1 Like

Good to know Micro Q can go for cheap. Just wondering but why’d you sell it? Thing sounds like butter to me and 25 voices / 16 parts. Also the uncrowded interface seems good for rack (I don’t want to be tempted to spend time hunched over a vertically oriented interface) and I assume a good editor exists.

I had it over 20 years ago (and many other synths since then) and sold it when downsizing to move into a smaller space. But it’s a great all-rounder, if a little fidgity to navigate.

Have you checked out the Blofeld? A lot of the same Waldorf goodness and is still being produced (check Juno Records in the UK…)

Yeah, know about the Blofeld. On the fence on its sound and interface. Also kind of outside the preferred budget and no rack ears available from what I can tell.

Also I forgot to mention but I only have 2U available for this synth. So it wouldn’t fit anyway.

1 Like

Pick whichever one is easiest to program. External control for performance is always necessary, but ideally you’ll get something whose sounds can be sculpted with the least amount of effort. Otherwise, you’re stuck in Preset City.

The D-550 would be my ideal choice since it definitely has a sound with character. There are also plenty of free editors available to make it worthwhile.

2 Likes

Sliding shelves are your friends :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah … of course! Well that opens up some options. What do you do to secure those guys on?

The shelf itself just bolts to the rails taking up 1 U of space. To affix synths etc to the shelf surface I’ve used industrial velcro before (same as used by guitarists for pedalboards)…

1 Like

I know you are asking about synths but I love old romplers : )

1 Like

Reverb has a Novation Nova for <$500. A Kurzweil K2000 might fit the bill and there are tens of thousands of patches out there for them. They are well capable of noisy sounds.

3 Likes

Not sure about JV2080 but I had the 1080 and thought the sound was a little off…not quite full. Found out later they use compression on the pcms (or something like that). Heard a side by side with it and a jd990 with same external card and the difference was very noticeable.
Sold my 1080 not long after…still want the 990

1 Like

First name that came into my head was Novation.
I was surprised there hadn’t been a mention yet!
Guessing only the A-Station would come in at that price range these days and is only monotimbral.

1 Like

A K-Station rack would also be a good fit but I haven’t seen one for sale in awhile.

1 Like