Cheap interface, stereo/iPad?

Oh god, my jamuary is in trouble. My crappy behringer interface crapped out - does anyone have tips concerning a Very cheap interface for recording a stereo input for Instagram videos using an iphone or ipad?

Thanks!!

Roland GO:MIXER

3 Likes

Zoom U series.

4 Likes

If you can find one used, a Zoom h1n

All good recommendations so far

1 Like

MOTU M2 - I have the M4 and it’s great!

2 Likes

I have a Go:Mixer, it works as described and is useful for Instagram because it records straight to your phone, but monitoring and managing levels is a bit of a pain. It’s tricky to get things at the right level where they’re not too quiet and not clipping.

If you monitor through the headphone output it’s not a good indicator of whether clipping will happen when you record, and neither is the “warning” red LED. You can figure it out, it’s just a bit annoying.

1 Like

I completely understand if you don’t want to give Behringer any more interface, but the cheapest option that sounds perfectly fine is still their UCA202.

3 Likes

Thank you for this recommendation. I just got my M2 and tried it out on my iPhone.

First, man it makes me want more MOTU gear. The look and feel is so high end.

My main reason for getting it is that the Zoom H5 became too much of a hassle and results were spotty. I want the shortest possible path to getting a video of what I’m doing. Just getting the H5 into USB interface mode took several button presses. And using the bus powered mode was unreliable on my phone, so I had to worry about remaining AA battery life. The real issue was that recorded videos sometimes had random pops in the audio that I did not hear during recording, even though I was monitoring the iPhone’s own playback while doing it. I could usually avoid it by backing the levels way down (they were already well below clipping) but knowing how much to back it down was pure guesswork, and I don’t want quiet videos anyway!

The M2 solves everything. Plug in, turn on, and it’s ready to go with bus power. I did test recordings to see how hot I could push it, and it handled it all perfectly.

3 Likes

I’m actually a complete doofus, but… I realized that my Motu Ultralite MKIV connects directly to the iPhone. I tried it previously but didn’t have a look at the fairly odd routing app, it was just a matter of enabling the outputs. Doh!

So, two lessons: That Zoom U44 really looks nice for simple recording, and check to see if your existing interface has iOs compatibility :roll_eyes:

Thanks to everyone.

2 Likes

I also have an Ultralite MKIV and still looking for new ways to unlock it’s possibilities. How do I connect it directly to my phone?

1 Like

Hey!

Yeah, it’s just a matter of going to the Pro Audio Control app (the web app thing), and then going to the Routing page. From there, you want to connect Main Mix (1&2, horizontal row) with To Computer (1&2, vertical row.)

Then, you need to start your phone camera, swipe to Video, and only then connect the USB between Motu and iPhone. Then, you should be able to record audio with your main mix as the audio.

(the screenshot does not show the right connections, but you can see Main L and Main R on the horizontal row and To Computer 1&2 on the vertical row. Then it’s just a matter of tapping the two blue boxes on the corresponding rows.)

1 Like

Great thanks!! I’m going to have to try this out, once I get a USB to iPhone cable…

1 Like