Changing pattern via midi

I use my MPC Live as my midi-center to control A4Mk1 and RytmMk1. Both elektron devices react with a latency of exactly one bar when I switch patterns in my MPC Live - thats totally annoying.

Is that a problem of the elektron devices or is my MPC the source of this malfunction? Unfortunately I don´t have another device to test.

How can this problem be solved?

thanks in advance!

You have to send Prog Changes before the end of the bar, as Elektron machines do.
I read that you can’t edit Prog Changes timing in the LIVE step edit. True ?

If you can’t send ProgChange precisely, a workaround would be to send a CC, and map it to a ProgChange with a midi processor. I’ve done it with Event Processor Plus, and Retrokits RK002.

You may not have to do any of that. Experiment with the Direct Change setting, as well as the CHNG (try 2) in the Scale page, for each pattern.

I switched direct change which has no effect at all. I will have a look into the scale page, I generally use normal mode instead of advanced mode.

It was setting the CHNG to 2 that solved the problem for me, but I’m sending the PGM changes from Ableton.

2 Likes

unfortunately the MPC doesn´t support prog changes in their “List Edit”-mode.

I am a total midi noob, so a midi processor is beyond my “hardware skill”. I would rather wait for an elektron update and sample my pattern into MPC.

@Nagualizer: Perfect! It works with MPC Live prog changes as well! Soooo smooth… Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah the machines would be pretty useless without this! I nearly said “Sell the MPC Live” as I’ve heard that it lacks a lot on the MIDI front but I’m glad it works. :vulcan_salute:

The Elektron machines (and the user guide) could be a bit less cryptic about this CHNG parameter and its importance.

Interesting…
It’s spot on and not 2 steps off?

I tested this with OT and Rytm the other day. The pattern sync type program change in the menu had them changing at the same time, but that sends the program change before the end of the first pattern.

When tying from a midi track which sends it at the beginning of the pattern, it would be late as you’ve experienced…
I tried setting chng to 2, but that just made it so the Rytm was only 2 steps behind…

1 Like

You need to enable direct jump

Did, same… :thinking:

what sequencer are you using to send the pgm change ? The OT?

Yeah, it was the OT…
I’ll try again later when I have time to reconfirm but I’m quite sure that was happening…

Anyone have personal experience with OT midi track program change to AR, AR on direct jump and chng parameter set to 2?
Does your Rytm change at the exact same time or two steps late?

Hey Open,
Did you get this working?
Have added the MPC to my setup; incredible.
With the program change sorted, this will be amazing.

1 Like

Somehow life has had my gear in storage since April…
Pray for me this phase doesn’t last much longer, and I’ll test it for ya… :smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately the setting CHNG 2 delays the prog change for 2 steps. So Open_Mike is right.
I have tested some workarounds, but didn´t find a single solution for me. Now I mix sampling AR/A4 patterns in MPC Live, sequencing AR/A4 in MPC Live and sequencing AR/A4 and changing patterns manually.

I was worried this may be the case.

It’s a great box but . . . I’m not sure it’s a keeper.

:thinking:

I still don’t understand why you can’t send Prog Changes with step edit. Doable with my little MPC500.

…maybe I´m too stupid for this. But the List Edit (which is nothing more than a rudimentary and confusing automation view) doesn´t allow me to send Prog Chg. I have to mention: I haven´t updated to the last version yet (I heard a lot about booting problems). I have to look in AKAI´s update log, maybe the Prog Chg feature has been implemented later…

I hope for a proper automation handling for the MPC Live in a future update but more and more I get the impression that the software department for the LIVE is placed on hold or done by a single person…

I’m trying to do the same thing but sending PC messages from a Synthstrom Deluge instead. The messages are sent right at the beginning of the bar so I keep having to wait a full 64 steps before the next pattern will play. This issue is extremely frustrating and discussed in many other threads on this forum but no word from Elektron regarding a fix. This issue effects some Elektron devices (AK, AR etc) but not others (MD), I don’t know why this goes unfixed. The only solution I have found is to sequence notes from the Deluge but since the Rytm doesn’t send MIDI out I’m left spending hours inputting each trig for all my patterns, what a waste of life. I should be performing, but I’m not, I’m sitting in my studio devising workarounds for poorly implemented fuctionality. Their units sound great but everything else is mind numbing.

I’ve suggested in other threads that kits/patterns be swapped upon receiving PC messages. Even if there was a lag i.e. message received on step one, kit swapped on step 2, pattern swapped on step 3, it would still be in improvement on the current limitation. I want to be gigging! This is so frustrating.