Change pattern from ableton (A4 & AR)

I’d like to change the pattern from an Ableton clip by sending a message to both A4 and AR.
I tried ‘Program change’, but no result.
I read something about ‘multi mode’, but that’s only in A4

What can I do for both A4 and AR?

I am sorry is someone already asked this question, just came back from holiday… couldn’t find it by searching.

1 Like

Hi wouzer,
i´d like to think, that you have set up your machines to receive PrGrCh ?
Midi-> Midi sync -> Prog CH Receive (YES)
Midi Port Config -> Input From (USB)
Midi Channels -> Prog Ch In Ch (1-16) / I like to use Ch 16.
In Live Preferences activate Output - Track (Analog 4 midi/Rytm midi)

you can see a Win 10 bug, the Rytm/Analog 4 midi port is now unison “Elektron Overbridge 1” and does not send to both units (only on win10)
But it should not look like this on any other system (Win7/8/MacOs)
Create a Midi track -> select "midi to " the analog 4/ rytm midi port (not the plugin) -> select the right channel-> create a midi clip -> enter a Pgm number (1-16=A01-A02 etc).

Bank —
Sub —
Pgm 1-16 etc.

Start the clip. the A4/Rytm should now change the pattern when you fire of another clip/different PGM.

Have fun.

3 Likes

yep, works for me, this is how i do it as well.

it only works in non-OB-Mode. The VST doesn’t respond on programm change, neither on any CC transmitted through the clip frame… :sob:

Hi,

you can use the PrGrCh in OB mode no problem, but you have to select the USB-Midi Port in the Preferences and the “midi to …” (eg Analog 4 (midi) ) not the plug in as destination. OB and Midi can work in tandem.

Holy shit, it works!! :slight_smile:

Hey Kloppo, thank you very much!!

1 Like

Hehe, great that it works!
"Geil wie dat läuft mein Junge :slight_smile: " ( as we say in Dortmund)
Have fun.

Did you ever get Overbridge to respond in time with the clip? I’m trying to do it but my machine waits an additional bar before kicking in with the pattern.

Yeh that’s the thing with Program Change Messages regardless from the Direct Change mode you have set on the machine. But you can use MIDI notes via midi mapping as described in the manual if you need immediate changes. Have a look a this post here: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/program-change-help-please

BTW, I think you can send PGM changes to OB without going through the “Analog Four (midi)”. In Live, you can send MIDI from a track to your OB track and select “16-Analog Four” as output channel.

I think I’ll end up sending MIDI note values from Ableton instead. I tried sending MIDI to OB instead but that didn’t work for me. Good suggestion though!

What I really wanted to do was to have the A4 patterns behave like “clips” in Live, i.e. trigger a quantized clip in Live and get the pattern to change as soon as the clip starts. I got it to work with MULTI MAP by placing the pattern-changing note (with CHG MODE set to “D.START”) at the beginning of the clip. (note that “D.JUMP starts the selected pattern on the step FOLLOWING the current sequencer step” - so that’s not always ideal…). However this did not work reliably when I had other gear to sync as the whole process seem to be very sensitive to timing - so your mileage may vary if this is also your use case… Eventually I gave up on this attempt and resorted to clips in Live with no quantization triggering normal program change messages - accepting the fact patterns will change only after the current playing one has stopped. For my use-case this works okish - as at the end of day 99% of times I just want to pattern to change at the beginning of the next bar and not immediately (just like most of my clips in Live). For me it would be great if there was an option to trigger pattern changes “at the beginning of the next bar” instead of “after the pattern has finished playing” - to deal with patterns longer than 1 bar.

1 Like

so its looking like the only way to write a song in ableton using the Rytm, without a one page delay when using program changes, or a double hit at the start of the pattern when using midi notes to change pattern, is to write the song on the drum machine itself.

Spare $1 to this guy and voila!

1 Like

On AR
Program change receive is on
input from midi+usb
output from midi + usb
program ch in ch 16

in Live 10
Both input and output are selected in Midi preferences

Hey gang!
Any idea what I’m doing wrong?