Change midi sound bank on different steps

Hi, I’ve recently got a Digitakt (brilliant move) and I’m still figuring out my way around it.
Currently I have two external synths being programmed via midi, I wanted to be able to use many different synth sounds within a single project.

What I wanted to know is if it is possible to play two different sounds from my Roland Sh01a within the same pattern, or even better simultaneously?

I tried using a different midi track but changing the sound on one track obviously changes it on the original one. Is there a workaround for this or is it a case of biting the bullet and buying more synths?

Thanks for any help, as you can probably tell I’m quite new to both Digitakt and using MIDI.

EDIT: post deleted because it was wrong- was about OT not DT :zipper_mouth_face:

You can only do that with multitimbral synths. Most are not and the sh01 is in that category.

If you want to just change up a patch you can send Program Changes to the synths (if they have patch memory).

It is not implemented the same way.

Sh01a has the ability to write and save up to 64 patches. Does that mean that there should be a way to send a program change on specific steps via the DT?

Yes but you’ll have to check the manual for what the messages are.

Usually you do this before a pattern change or transition because sometimes some synths take a step or two to change.

Thank you, I’ll give this a go!