Change Kit or Sound via MIDI message?

Good evening.
I’ve been searching through for a solution to this issue/problem/lack of ability (my own!).

I wan’t the OT to tel the A4 what patch to use for the pattern I am sending from the OT.

I’ve got the MDID NOTE SETUP page with the channel/Bank/Prog.

Channel works fine as the pattern from the OT is playing; can’t get the patch to change though.

What am I doing wrong? The searches I’ve made suggest issues exist with this, but surely OT to A4 must work?!

Just going to switch all my great off for the night.
Any ideas before I do?

I’m not sure if I understood your question fully, so please let me know if I have misinterpreted it.

The OT can send MIDI Program Change messages to the Analog Four to cause it to change its pattern. To do this, you have to activate the send function on the OT and the receive function on the AF, as well as set the MIDI channel number on which the PC messages are sent.

What do you mean by patch? As far as I know, there is no documented MIDI message to send to the AF to change its Kit or Sounds. Some developers have deciphered the MIDI SysEx implementation of the AF and would be able to create an intermediate program to change the Kit or Sounds in response to a MIDI message from the OT.

1 Like

Hi,
Yeah I’m after the ability to change the kit or sound via the Octatrack.
On the Midi Setup for the channel etc. that I’m sending from the Octatrack, there are settings for Bank etc. I was hoping these could be used to send information to request a sound?
If not, what are they for?

OT Prog changes can be used to change sounds of other gear indeed. But between Elektrons they are used to change patterns.
A4 kits are linked to patterns.

Multi Map can help you to play different sounds / patterns. You can assign sound ranges and even patterns to midi notes.

1 Like

Cheers guys.
I’ve been doing it by saving patterns on the A4 even though the Octatrack is sending the Midi pattern to it. So, essentially, I’m just saving the pattern on the a4 to lock the sounds to it.

1 Like

Sort of, you’re linking a reference to a Kit Number - that’s all - so if you change the Kit then the relationship to the sounds will change - a Pattern only stores the reference number pointing to the kit.

So A4 receiving OT prg changes will change to the corresponding pattern and it’s up to you to link a unique/desired kit to that A4 pattern - this is only possible if the pattern contains data when you save

Multi map allows other possibilities as mentioned

Cheers for your help.
That’s cool.
I’ve got it doing what I want; I’ll explore further when the dust settles from this.
:sunglasses:

1 Like