Celebrating what you did in 2022

I bought a DFAM, which led to me buying a lot of other stuff and making a lot of techno. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Funded by the sale of a business I grew to hate in lockdown. Also got myself out of debt. Now work in mental health and love it (was a live engineer for 25 years prior to this).

Best wishes for 2023 to you all!

8 Likes

Paying off my mortgage was nice.

8 Likes

I didn’t do much in 2022 except navigate a lot of life nonsense and still find myself on the bright side of life. I refuse to let that shit ruin my day.

Live is too short for nothing but good vibes!

6 Likes

I have setup a home studio for the first time in years (not unrelated to paying off the mortgage) but it’s a bit early to say I’m proud of it as I haven’t recorded a single note in their yet.
The audio does seem to be routing as desired so that’s something (next is configuring the midi - deep joy).

I’ve also done some DJing for first time in ages too, and have picked up some paying gigs.
Spent more on new music than I’ve been paid though, but it gets me out of the house.

3 Likes

Sounds like 2022 is setting up 2023 perfectly!!

2 Likes

I mean…whos gonna be able to follow that?! :grinning:

5 Likes

Had released 2 records a LP and a EP
Completed 3 soundpacks
Built a shed, a fence, a massive gate, and a lot of concreting and gravel.
Programmed some sequencers and synths on a 80’s handheld computer.
Wrote about 30 tracks that I am happy with.
Streamlined my workflow and setup a bit.
Did not have to use my AK.

17 Likes

Congrats Craig! I also got married this year! As well as released an ep and play 4 solo shows! Happy new year everyone!

6 Likes

I’ve made one half of my Your Commitment to Releasing Something in 2022 happened.
Brought an 0 Coast in my life.
Beaten The Radiance.
Cleaned my fridge.
Did not post Wife jokes.

9 Likes

My current musical journey is tied exactly to the year as it begins with my purchasing Korg Gadget on the Switch on the 31st of December 2021.

Prior to that I hadn’t performed, written or recorded any music in over 4 years since I left my last band with maybe 30 mins a week of aimless guitar noodling my only musical outlet.

I also didn’t own a DAW or even a PC.

This lead to my then buying a Circuit Tracks which then got replaced with a Polyend Tracker and an MC-707 and finally setting up Bitwig on my wife’s PC.

From pretty much nothing in terms of experience and gear I’ve created 6 tracks for challenges on this and other websites and another 3 for practice and my skills have massively improved.

Outside of that I haven’t achieved much this year so it’s been a great source of satisfaction.

5 Likes

I made it through 2022 although maybe I shouldn’t count my years before they hatch…and I learned to love Elektron and sold my MPC One bought a Digitakt, got banned from MW but joined here and discovered Prefab Sprout!

5 Likes

Congrats @craig ! I also got married. Got a new job with a better company and a huge raise. Finished writing an album. Started making plans to move across the country. It’s been a big year.

9 Likes

I managed to pull off a cross-country move from New York to California.

I’d been living in Brooklyn since 2016 but in recent years had been missing my home state of CA and the people who were still here (many of my closest friends and family). My life in NYC was becoming increasingly hermetic and anxious. I didn’t enjoy the city “energy” anymore, I wanted to find peace and comfort and spend more time in nature. So at some point this summer I vowed to escape the east coast before another winter set in.

It wasn’t an easy move — I had to find a new job to be fully remote and able to relocate, had to buy a car at just about the worst time in history to buy a car, had to figure out how to move all my stuff and myself, etc. etc. I was very fortunate to have a best friend who flew across the country to join me for the road trip back out west, and once I got here I was lucky to land an apartment just a short walk from both my little sister and that same best bud.

So now I’m unpacking boxes and rebuilding a little world for myself, still wrapping my head around the fact that I made it here and a new chapter has begun. Lots to look forward to in 2023. Here’s a pic of my friend and I on the road in the stunningly beautiful land of Moab, UT — I think you can tell by our haircuts which one of us has a mortgage and which has a modular.

17 Likes

Awesome pic. And congrats on the move!

2 Likes

Thanks man. Huge congrats to you and the Mrs. as well! Here’s to starting new chapters :beers:

2 Likes

I dived deeper into learning and recording my modulars that was fun!
Found much better paying job that allows me to work from home.
Hosted local synth party in my home studio.
Bought two dream pieces of gear that I have wanted for years the Rytm and Virus.

2 Likes

It’s hard to celebrate, but I have tried to be a rock for my parents. My dad was diagnosed with cancer late last year, and I was there for him at the start of his treatment, and at the end. He actually kind of sailed through chemo and radiation beautifully, but then in July suffered a series of small strokes that really shook him both mentally and physically. He had been the primary caregiver for my mom, who has Alzheimer’s, so it became all-hands-on-deck. I was able to get there overnight (Oregon to Florida for all these trips) and support him as he started what we all hoped was his recovery. After my sister and brother each came to be with my folks in the following weeks, I returned a month later, and was with my dad when he passed. Since then, we’ve had to support my mom, move her here close to me and my family, sort through all their things and get their house sold, get a trust set up to ensure that I can keep helping my mom right. Getting my mom into the right assisted living has been tough, and we are going to be moving her to a new place in a couple of days, hoping that she’ll be happier there and more settled.

I’ve also had a promotion this year at work. For a time that has meant that I have to lead a newly created team while also trying to tie off existing projects that I have been directly working on. I am grateful to have the support and understanding of my team and leaders, but it’s been a heavy lift, with all the time I needed to dedicate to my parents.

Also have been trying to keep up being a good spouse and father, being present with my kids and working through hard changes in my marriage, as we get closer to being “empty-nesters” and we undergo our individual transformations into middle-age. So much unknown.

It’s been one of the hardest years of my life…I still try to get time in for making music and finding enjoyment in it.

But I have definitely been self-medicating with alcohol to an unhealthy degree, and am not in the kind of physical shape I know I can and should be in.

I am really looking forward to turning the page on this year, and living a healthier life in 2023.

I am super grateful for this forum of kind people, where I can hide away and think and chat and be inspired about synths and music with talented and thoughtful folk from all over the world.

24 Likes

My wife and I made a baby this year! 6 months old now, hard but incredibly rewarding work. Bought a house and moved. Still getting settled, haven’t got the studio set up yet, but chipping away at it between being a dad, house projects and work

6 Likes

Yeah, I did some stuff…

1 Like

Congrats, dude! My own journey this year lines up with most of your post. I’ve liked your sound in the hiphop battles here, so I hope you keep tilting at windmills, quixote

2 Likes