CD .wav extraction

I’m looking to replicate an old workflow

I had an audio editor that would allow auditioning/extraction of a region of a CD

Not interested in iTunes solutions or audio capture … looking to rip small .wav chunks from CD tracks

Anyone know of a neat free utility to do this OSX (mavericks), nothing too bloated, this is all I want to do with it ?

We talking like a sample CD?

Have a look at Iced Audio Finder

2 Likes

That’s an interesting product in its own right, but it’s bloated and paid for, so doesn’t fit my purposes

Conceptually what I’m after seems straightforward … this issue being that nobody uses CDs, so solutions may be thin on the ground … just an extractor to preferably audition but mainly to specify small chunks of audio CDs to extract the data

So free, ideally lean and clean to make it a pleasure to use

Sure I can get big full tracks of lossless audio out of itunes, but then my soul gets a beating from dealing with all sorts of other crap and iTunes just went berserk this week with the 12.6.1 update crashing at every launch … cost me hours and hours and nearly all my metadata … luckily some internet genius found a way to trick it open in the meantime … so I don’t want to be messing with iTunes as it’ll try to put stuff in its fragile database

XLD is no good either as it presents no preview / track info / selection range … though it is free and lean and hand for other tasks

I may have to dig out the old powermac :okej:

1 Like

Not sure if it fits the bill (definitely not in respect to pre-defining regions of an Audio CD), but you can rip audio from CD using Audacity, edit the WAV and write disk. It is free, and lightweight.

Edit: OK, Audacity does only sorta rip, probably not quite as envisioned… but I also found a link to “Max” https://github.com/sbooth/Max

1 Like

Yep, Max on full paranoia :flushed:
Then edit somewhere else

1 Like

I also have Max installed already (as well as Max/MSP), I’ll revisit that one thanks … I have audacity on a retired machine, but its optical drive is bust … may revisit, cheers

I suppose editing a ripped full track is not the end of the world, but it becomes a tedious process if it’s not all done in one spot (like my earlier workflow) … I’m using Wave Editor these days

1 Like

I think these days you are just gonna have to rip the full track (using max or xld - both have their own issues). After that though, Audacity is really great. Cmd+I to split the sections then export that selection - really easy workflow for me.

1 Like

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm
There’s a MAC Version TRIAL for 21 days (licence 36 euro)

1 Like

XLD (Mac, FREE Software)
http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

1 Like

been a few years since I even touched a CD tbh lol…
but yeah would probably use XLD

1 Like

May need to get the song data side of XLD sorted … when it’s not named it’s just too much of a chore … ripping tracks and editing 3 or 4 seconds of a beat will probably have to do

My fall back may be to pipe it in by SPDIF from an audio player to my Motu, this way I can just have the recorder in my editor running and play all the snippets I want to capture

1 Like

An old favorite of mine, exact audio copy.

Not on OSX though !

1 Like

this seems pretty simple?
hardest part is probably installing an up-to-date Python and that library.
I’m a noob with Python but if you wanna go that route I can maybe help you out.

edit: ah sorry that PyMedia library apparently isn’t available for macOS…
but there’s gotta be some alternative…

1 Like

Thanks, but I now think it may be easiest to record into my editor direct by SPDIF (or even via DAC/ADC), it’ll be the most natural, therefore least irksome to do … handling lots of CDs on mac has its own drawbacks

I’d been moving all my CDs and got a bit nostalgic for some of the iconic intros and moments for a bit of OT fun : )

3 Likes