Carrying electronic devices (such as Digitakt) in plane cabin

Hello,

I’ll take a small trip to the U.S.A. (from France) at the end of the week. Has anyone encountered issues with custom officers or while boarding, having a Digitakt in your cabin luggage?

I feel like they might be pretty nuts over electronic devices they don’t know (i.e. not a laptop) and I’m afraid they might retain it or discard it or whatever they please.

You can guess from the general tone of the topic that I don’t travel that often ^^.

scratch off all labels that say trig, arm and timing

just kidding …I don’t think that this is a problem… just pay attention to batteries over a certain amount of mAh (don’t have the numbers in my head)

5 Likes

I can’t speak for customs but I fly often in the US with my equipment and as long as you can tell them what it does you should be fine. At the very least be prepared to give them a small “demo” so you can prove it’s just a drum machine. Best of luck!

1 Like

No prob ! I just did it…

1 Like

I brought an Electribe ESX back from the USA in a laptop backpack, and while they wanted to know what it was, there was no problem when I explained. One DHS agent was quite into it, and was looking at all the functions, but his colleague hurried him up to get to the next person in the queue.

2 Likes

The only issue I’ve ever had is at Shanghai airport where they took my USB battery off me before the return flight to the UK. Said it was too high capacity. I was quite annoyed as it was expensive but too tired to argue.

1 Like

Thanks my dudes!

i live in China and have recently been through Shanghai airport. they were also interested in my rechargeable batteries. they passed, but they are not that powerful.

can you share what make and model you had taken, it might help others to know this. would also help me as i am thinking of buying a bigger battery to power my DT.

My battery was 20,000mAh with two USB ports. Only for powering my iPad but this was not allowed.
I was hoping to take my RavPower 20100mAh powerbank with me as it has a mains output which is perfect for Digitone but think it will be confiscated at Shanghai.

Seems like laws have changed now, quick google shows 100wh or 27k mah.

1 Like

Question is, do I take it and possibly risk loosing it?
I might email to ask.

thanks for that, was looking at the RavPower unit myself. will have to have a rethink.

I think china are being extremely cautious regarding these units. if i can find any useful information about what is allowed and what’s not i will post.

1 Like

@Anfim I also saw this but am hesitant to risk it.

thing is, in china, the security personnel don’t really get the information that’s being passed out by the government. so they will just say ‘no’ if they are unsure.

regarding China, if you can’t afford to lose it, don’t take it.

1 Like

for what it’s worth I checked a rytm and A4 from Australia to the USA and both arrived at the other end fine

I’m not sure what it’s like in France, but the (useless) TSA here in the States will scrutinize anything electronic. Your best bet is to have the digitakt in a carrying case that is easy to open and where it’s the only piece in that case. Send it through the x-ray that way and you should be fine. Even if they take a second look at it, they’re not going to give you a hard time. Read up on battery limits, if you’re bringing batteries, I’m not sure what they are as it seems to change, depending on what the latest panic is.

Safe travels!

I travel with my digitakt in EU and it’s fine. They just want to see it in security. It’s usually in separate bag anyway. I haven’t used battery back. They allow the batteries up to 160Wh but I guess that has to be written somewhere on the device (it’s not in my case).

you have to differentiate between taking on board and in the luggage.

i never know what to bring and where to put it on my private jet

thinking of installing elektron gear permanently

1 Like

I’ve carried an Octatrack and RYTM in a backpack on a few flights in the US – never had any issue.