Care to Speculate on Digitakt mk2

sounds like you should just get a model:samples…

3 Likes

I have a model samples and a digitakt, they aren’t the same.

Just think it’s the filter on the camera… and a switched cap for function button… and he was just joking… doesn’t look any different

The insta vid OP says it’s from a mkii machine in the comments. swapped button is all. Maybe a filter for lights colour change, maybe it’s poss to customise the colours in the unit. Dunno, not looked into it. But yes it’s a regular DT. No mystery.

Yeah think he was just joking, it looks like just a normal DT to me

just a little humor :crazy_face:, and yes they are definitely different machines.
I had the M:S for a month… then I upgraded to DT for it’s more robust features.
i do miss the retrigger on the fly function, but that’s about it…

all I want is a Digitakt that is streamlined in form factor similar to the model samples… with more sample storage and more project ram, and allowed more sounds per project like the model samples…, stereo capability, and a chance knob… better sample slicing features, and it would be perfect!

1 Like

thought i’d resurface this, most of the content has been fulfilled within the original box.
i don’t own a DT but the recent fw update has clearly opened up a whole new world of sound design and fun with the machine. And is healthy evidence Elektron are on top of things (insert rytm fw feature request hollering/sample cloud banality concerns here).

I WANT ONE.

but also would be keen to hear what current users think would enhance the unit 3 years after this thread, or if the original design wisely precludes the need for any hardware changes.
heard murmurs of theories it maybe forthcoming but probably standard nauts hearsay.
think i just want to know if i should hold out, or if the current box is good to go for the next 5 years.

all i can think that could be introduced (but suggest more if you think it’s required/possible):

• more storage
  • stereo sampling/samples
  • 436,187 freely assignable LFOs per track
2 Likes

It is kind of hard to imagine them adding something like stereo samples to a digitakt mk2, I imagine they would try to keep parody more or less between mk1/mk2 firmware wise… stereo could be made easier perhaps through transfer app and a machine that combines 2 tracks into a stereo track.

If they make anything like an mk2 I bet it will be a digitakt pads… but given elektrons track record with pads, one would hope they sort out the MC and MS first.

1 Like

It’s amazing the features Elektron has implemented since the Digitakt was introduced. It really says something that they have continually strived to improve their products.
If I conceive of a Mk2 version now it is more as an XL version where the OS is essentially the same but they add a few features to the hardware such as stereo sampling, pads (or something other than the clicking buttons), and maybe two more assignable outputs. From a software perspective, maybe adding a few more effects could be an effective way of inducing current owners to shell out for an a new version. I, for one, know I would buy a new version if even a couple of the features I mentioned were included in an XL version.
That said, I am happy working with the Digitakt as is. It is a truly phenomenal piece of hardware. Elektron have chipped away at its limitations with every update while still keeping it focused as an instrument which to my mind, is a hard tightrope to walk.

2 Likes

dude, you’d love it now.

its breakbeat central.

I’d say if there ever is an mk3 you’d be lookin at more storage yea, analog fx block ala syntakt, and some other sh*t. maybe.
imo now digitakt feels like a really complete unit.

2 Likes

Rechargeable battery.
Stereo samples.
Expanded storage.
Expanded RAM.
Polyphony.
Chorus.

Wait, are we talking about Digitakt Mk2 or Octatrack Mk3?

4 Likes

both of em :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’d love a lipo in me takt. I hope next gen have batteries.

1 Like

I use a USB power adaptor and a Birdcord but I have to agree, one built into the case would be incredible.

I was thinking maybe the battery handle was a testing ground for built-in batteries for future devices.

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone has already said this but it (to me) looks like elektron as a company is starting to move away from new incarnations of existing hardware, I think the syntakt proved that they were willing to add an additional all new interface into an existing form factor. Also the new OS 1.50 update is like something you would introduce in a mk2, but instead they’ve increased the price of DT and given people more reason to purchase it. It seems like they’re going to keep milking the cow that is currently filling the most buckets.

Feels like there will be new elektron gear coming, but I have a hard time picturing mk3 of anything and DT (other than it’s forced limitations which I think are intentionally crippled in order to not step into territory of other EMM products despite people saying no not my elektron they wouldn’t do that).

If they did make a mk2 DT my guess would be they would allow expanded memory (ie flash cards or whatever), they would switch to a higher ram and more modern dac, and they would introduce a single row of velocity sensitive pads without having it be part of the sequencer section.

I still personally don’t see any reason for elektron to change the form factor because it seems to have been so popular they quickly and determinedly based the syntakt around fitting into the same mold.

If any of that makes any sense when I say it out loud. I think it does.

1 Like

Elektron certainly don’t want the 2nd hand market to be flooded with low-value used DT.
With the new features, the Digitakt might also take a break from the techno/ambient crowd to reach hip-hop producers & MPC users. Kepping the original DT updated is a win-win situation.

2 Likes

if the only thing they do on the dt2 is increase the resolution across the board from the sample editing, to the sequencer, to the track scaling etc… it will again become ground breaking for what is capable with that alone.

I see… soup… but there is no soup for you…

2 Likes

lol, I’m eating soup right now, yellowtail collar on the side

1 Like

Must have:

• Stereo sampling (if not, it’s a deal breaker)
  • More RAM for current project
  • More sample storage memory, preferably external using SD card
  • Multi track voice sharing for polyphony

Nice to have:

• Internal Battery
  • More processing for better time stretching
  • Improved slicing and chopping
  • A granular machine (yes I know we can do granular using the LFOs)
  • 8 sample tracks + 4 sample/MIDI tracks + 4 midi tracks OR 16 sample/MIDI tracks (basically, more sampling tracks without sacrificing the possibility of having 8 MIDI tracks.
  • Retrig on MIDI tracks

Fixes:

• Fix MIDI program change support (doesn’t play well with Hydrasynth)

Don’t change:

• Form factor
  • Output stage sound quality
  • Workflow
  • Keep it black!
  • Screen (ok it could be white, but I do like the yellow)

All that being said, the current Digitakt is a legendary piece of kit.

1 Like