Care to Speculate on Digitakt mk2

Great point with the muting/unmuting, it can get weird for sure when trying to remember what is where and definitely reduces the flexibility performance-wise. Yeah some stuff has just got to be stereo, I totally agree.

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s partly my fussiness but also largely the kind of sounds I make. Good idea though about reducing drum loops to 1 or 2 tracks, that would help. I do that sometimes if I have a fixed arrangement in mind that I can p-lock, and donā€™t feel like a mute/unmute on the fly.

Side note: actually, one great use of Overbridge that Iā€™ve discovered is that I can stream/record the tracks, and then label parts of the arrangement in my DAW so that I can keep track of what samples are triggered on each track. Might seem tedious to some but itā€™s massively helped me to get a ā€˜top-downā€™ view of the arrangement as I often get lost in the ā€˜fogā€™ of p-locks and sample-locks.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great idea!!! Good thinking. I know what you mean about the fog, sometimes I get lost in it, go eat lunch, and come back to find that itā€™s like a different person made the pattern. Iā€™m like huh?

1 Like

Haha I get this but sometimes every few minutes, so Iā€™ve realised if I donā€™t stay organised Iā€™m doomed (or rely on happy accidents). Iā€™ll get distracted by all the flashy lights and malfunction trying to remember what each track does.

1 Like

I donā€™t see any good reason to not come out with an digitakt mk2, Elektron are a business and there are people who would love to purchase a beefed up Digitakt.

especially a digitakt mk2 that was stereo, had more project ram and storage and the workflow of the model samplesā€¦ Personally Iā€™d hope for a more streamlined formfactor as wellā€¦ something thin like the model samples and also battery operable in addition to power adapter with over 6 hours of batt life.

2 Likes

This is the only thing I would like to see in a mk2.

I think there will be an DT mk2 in the future, yes.

For my opinion sooner or later there will be a second version of every well-sold electron machine.

where MnM and MD MK2s are then?

1 Like

The MD and MM MkIIs were released in 2007.

1 Like

i mean, they could do that, but they donā€™t for some reason

1 Like

ā€¦thats what i thought, got an Octatrack, studied it hard, sold my Digitakt to commit only to my Octatrack, composed a lot of stuff ā€¦ but it was only stuff. On the Takt i composed deep songs and beats.
Well now i sold my Octatrack and think i might get the Digitakt back, because of the points you`ve mentioned.
It is soo inspiring to be limited an yet you got everything you need to write and to make sound design on that thing :slight_smile:
But yeah, iā€™d defenately be in the game for an mk2 with FX on Input, Slice Mode and Sample Zoom

1 Like

This is what Iā€™m wary of! Often itā€™s taxing enough to learn a new instrument, let alone implementing all of the tricks in a way thatā€™s musically interesting. Can be easy to get caught up in the rabbit hole of technical stuff and forget why youā€™re ultimately doing it in the first place! (even if that side of things can be satisfying in itself).

Besides I have a DAW and plugins for basically all the crazy sound design I could want - and have done for some time - but a major push towards me actually creating tracks and not getting lost in options was that I invested time, money and attention into the DT, and itā€™s also a very fun instrument thatā€™s full of surprises. E.g. a vocal loop on a track Iā€™m working on was meant to be mangled into a pad, and somehow became a super heavy detuned bass that fits the song perfectly. It can feel like a crazy organic process when you get into it.

1 Like

u can chain patterns u know, any order and multiple repeats of same patern, itā€™s elusive to figure out but its in there somewhere.

I read that somewhere when I bought the DT but the way I understood it you canā€™t actually save the chains which would sort of defeat the purpose for me. Am I wrong about this?

you can order you tracks in a way that you just chain left to right for songsā€¦ not an ideal solution but it works as a basic song mode that way, you just have to keep a song to 16 patterns. Iā€™ve always liked manually switching though so my opinion about what is important in a song mode is probably not super valuable.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to have a SOLO mode.

1 Like

I believe that a dt mkii is on the horizon from this instagram post https://www.instagram.com/p/B8kQputhx9G/?igshid=19nsa592vyicd

The dt in the video has differences from the normal version and in the comments he says theyā€™re mkii parts and Iā€™m pretty sure he works for Elektron.

Given this info, does anyone have an idea when a release would be expected? Iā€™m not in the loop of the release cycles that Elektron tend to go with.

mkII machines (Octatrack, Rytm, A4) have grey FUNC buttons. he means he just swapped them.

1 Like

Wouldā€™ve been exciting but, in fact, he was asked in comments for a February-dated video if it was Mk2 but replied that it was the original.

As @garf mentioned, swapped parts are the culprit.

1 Like

I am pretty new to owning an Elektron but have been paying attention to them for about a year. 3 days in and I love my DT.

A few thoughts on why there will not be a major revision:

• I think R&D on these things is high, as is initial manufacturing costs. Why spend more when you can just sit back and collect from your hard work?
  • These instruments are iconic. We will be using them, in their current form for 20 years. Look at the OT. Still strong and expensive after 10 years (w minor rev). 10 years! What other gear do you or friends have that was made 10 years ago (w minor rev allowed) that people still pay full price for now? That hold resale value like these do?
  • Elektron has moved through itā€™s designs and not looked back besides minor revs. The era of the OT sized, 2011-2016. Then the era of DT sized, 2016-2019. Now the era of model.

In many ways the new devices are superior (look at the knobs! Or 6 tracks on cycles. Or usb class audio) and a few ways inferior (like no midi tracks, look like toys, not sexy like DT).

The margins on these new devices are surely much lower but volume is higher. Meanwhile if you do nothing to DT, these things sell well, and margins increase over time.

If we see a decent successor to DT (assuming 2 samples donā€™t cover that, which btw, are cheaper than one DT), I imagine itā€™s 2-3 years away and will be a new form factor.

I bet next up is a model mixer, maybe model fx, or model waves.

2 Likes