Card to Card copy Octa1 and Octa2

Hi All,
I use my octractrack1 in my live set for years. It works on old OS, but it is quite stable and I don’t want to change it. Now I have the second one, but it is Octatrack2 and it has a higher OS version than the 1st one.
My idea is to use both utilizing the same content, hence I need to copy my CF card from Octatrack1 to CF card for Octatrack2.
How can I manage this?
Could you please advise some hints and tricks that I should keep in mind preparing this cloning?
Logic says that I should simply copy content from CF1 to the empty CF2 with help of a card reader. My experience says that there should be some yellow lights which I should take care of.
Very looking forward to your advice.

Yes, this works.

Also, put a copy of the CF on your computer as an additional backup. Whenever I’ve made a lot of progress in my OT Project, I copy the contents of the folders I’ve changed (usually SET####, and AUDIO) to the OT backup folder I keep on my computer.

That said, if you have issues copying from the OT (which is really a card reader in USB mode) to another CF card directly, try copying to your computer first, then copy that backup to the new CF.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Thanks for the help!
Seems I was too scared in my past with Octa))))

1 Like

Just be extra-careful when swapping cards: I’ve read many a story about pins getting bent in OT’s card reader which is a show stopper (needing Elektron service)

1 Like

I’m thinking about swapping my MKII grey unit with a MKII black unit. I also have a 64gb card that I stupidly didn’t use as my standard OT card when I received it.

From reading the advice here, there should be no issues in copying everything from the 16gb card that is in my grey unit to my laptop with a CF card reader, from there to the 64gb card and put that in the black unit. Will my grey OT be cloned this way? I don’t use flex machine recordings in projects, so if these get lost, it doesn’t matter.

In other words: is the removal and insertion of the CF card only a problem because of possible physical issues that can happen? I only now the meme here about removing CF cards, but have no idea what the deal is.

Couldn’t you just copy content from your 16GB card to your PC via USB? Then power down the Octatrack, insert the 64GB, then copy your data to it. No need for a CF reader.

While the media isn’t the most robust, it’s certainly possible to insert without issue. I did it carefully, with a visual inspection of the pins beforehand.

2 Likes

Yes. Just insert your CF card carefully, without insisting if something blocks it, if you don’t want to break the pins.

I prefer to use USB too. The copy speed isn’t an issue (unless you want to copy 64 go of small files just before a gig).

OT MKI, MKII grey and black share the same OS files. I don’t know why an MKII black wouldn’t recognize a CF card from an MKII grey (even from an MKI).

I opened projects from MKIIs on my MKI.

My OT CF was even recognized by my MPC 500. :content:
(I could load OT recordings)

2 Likes

Thank both of you for your quick responses. You’re right, I could just use USB disk mode to copy the content from my grey unit 16gb CF card to my laptop, insert the 64gb card into the black unit, connect it to my laptop in USB disk mode and then copy all the files. So the only issue really is to be careful when removing/inserting CF cards.

Great that your CF card worked on an MPC, sezare :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Both way. I could record internally with the MPC and use the recording with OT, using AUDIO folder.

1 Like

I use 2 Octatracks and i copied the card with a SD Card or drive clone software because copying thousands of files would have taken forever. This way it was done in minutes. I just connected both octatracks at the same time but made a backup on pc too.