Can't get .syx files to work : /

Hi everyone,

For the world of me, I can’t figure out how to install sound packs’ .syx files. I’ve tried with Elektron’s own packs and also with 3rd party ones. Using Analog Four MKI.

I read here that the Elektron Transfer software can be buggy, so I tried to do it via C6 and sysex dump. The sysex page showed it received the sound pack files, but there’s nothing when I go to the sounds browser. I also tried to drop them via Transfer, no luck, and then tried to install them via the sysex link on the front page of Transfer, but this crashes the software.

I’ve done a clean install, factory reset, installed the latest firmware + software etc, but nothing helps.

If someone can help me out, that’d be wonderful.

The only thing I managed to install was this pack by Phonotype which had multiple .syx files, one being bigger than others; the Transfer software’s drop page accepted that one, and the pack worked fine.

I have a4v2 and Transfer app would not work on windows, in spite of overbridge being set up hw end and recognised by the app.
I would recommend midiox freeware application or equivalent for mac. Have it installed and let me know; meantime, I will get back to my computer if you need help.
Essentially,
go to settings midi dumb and receive dump - on a4 - to make it wait for syx
in midi ox set the midi out to a4 look for send sysex.

Did anyone get it to work? In Elektron Transfer:
Dropping a syx file in the “Drop” windows does nothing.
In the “Explore” window, my syx files are not shown.

2 Likes

Hi Jeanne, and Total. I tried every possible way of transferring files, but couldn’t make it , had too much work to do so I decided to sell it to my friend a few weeks after my original post.

I believe the sysex one can transfer through Transfer.app are only firmwares.
To transfer Project/Sounds/Kits sysex from and to A4, I would use Sysex Librarian on computer side, and Sysex Send/Receive menus on A4’s.

It’s not certain sysex sent with old firmwares still work with current OS though. Since Transfer arrived, I think some things changed. It’s the case for DN at least.

Maybe contact Elektron to get some more intel on this.

Hey all, I’ve got it to work.

For some reason, it only works if you drop more than one file.
In case of a soundpack, you select the pack and one other random sound syx file (!!!) and drop them together.
Otherwise it doesn’t work.

(Apart from that, of course the A4 has to be set to receive etc., like described here: How to install and load sound packs to your Elektron device : Knowledge Base (Beta) )

((I found it interesting that there are multiple threads on Elektronauts regarding the A4 and syx files, and none came to a conclusion.))

7 Likes

If you need only patches Transfer works smooth and it’s easy to organize to bank slots than with C6 routine or sysex. drop. In explore basically select and drag & drop. A4II is so good.

Hi, thanks for the tip :slight_smile:
It wasn’t working for me with only one sysex file but no problem when dropping several at once.

Weird…

2 Likes

Cool :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ( I actually use now an empty file (0 bytes) called nothing.syx - works as well without shoveling unwanted things to the A4 or other Elektron devices :wink: )

Short video:

4 Likes