Can't Connect Rytm With Virus Ti2 Polar

I’ve owned the Rytm for two weeks now and finally wanted to jam with my Virus Ti2. I went to the music store and purchased a MIDI cable.

RYTM (OUT) -> (VIRUS TI2) IN.

On the Rytm I selected Track and Function, MIDI Config, Sync,
Transport Send is Selected, Clock Send is selected.

On the Virus Ti2 I hit MULTI.

EDIT + CONFIG -> MIDI 1/3.

I’m trying to figure out how I can clock it to external, I think that’s what’s not letting me hear any sound from the Virus. Pretty frustrating, I just want to create a cool drum pattern on the Rytm and mess around on the Virus.

Can anyone who owns both of these machines tell me how to properly configure them together? Thanks.

We maybe need to clarify what you’re trying to do.

Do you want the AR to sequence (send notes from patterns to) the Virus? If so, you need to know that the AR’s patterns do not send MIDI note messages to external gear.

If you just want to send MIDI clock messages (tempo information) to the Virus, make sure that you set the following:
OUT PORT FUNCTIONALITY to “MIDI”, and
OUTPUT TO to “MIDI”
in the AR’s GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu.

2 Likes

You will need to send note information etc to virus…im not sure if AR can do this.

Hi Peter,

I’m interested in hearing the drum patterns I’ve made with the Rytm while jamming on the Virus Ti2.

I’ve taken your advice, however when I play with the Rytm and I hit the pads, I only hear the synth sounds from the Virus instead of the Rytm.

I’m hoping to get these two synced so I can jam.

Midi ad audio are different. Get audio cables and a mixer to hear stuff

@VDB is correct: MIDI cables do not transmit sounds between instruments.

If you have a mixer, connect the audio outputs of both the AR and the Virus to the mixer.

If you do not have a mixer, you can connect the audio outputs of the Virus to the audio inputs of the AR, and listen to the audio outputs from the AR.

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response.

I don’t own a mixer, is it necessary?

How many audio cables do I need in order to connect the Rytm to the Virus Ti2?

Appreciate your help.

1 Like

You can start with one cable: one end (for the AR) should have one 1/4" (quarter-inch) TRS jack and the other end (for the Virus) should have two 1/4" TS jacks. In English, it is often called an “insert cable”. Your music store should be able to get one for you easily.

This will be enough for you to hear the sounds from both instruments at the AR’s outputs. You will probably want to adjust the levels of the sounds - most likely to lower the volume of the AR’s track sounds.

If you can get by with a single cable then a mixer is not necessary. However, you have purchased two very expensive and high-quality instruments. In the future, as your knowledge of the instruments develops, you will probably find that a mixer would help you get the best sound quality and more flexibility of use from these and any other instruments that you use.

2 Likes