Can you use the Digitakt to control lights?

Hello!

I’m a new Elektronaut who is also very new to Midi.

Are we able to use the Midi keys on the Digitakt to send midi data to program lights?

I’m hoping to match the audio from the Digitakt with possible visuals, be it lights or a projector.

Cheers!

I believe it SHOULD be possible. But your lights would have to be able to respond to midi messages(I’m sure some exist, but I’m ignorant of their prominence)

Should be possible with a MIDI to DMX converter. @Shirobon does something similar, I think!

2 Likes

Shirobon hasn’t been active since 2016…
Would you happen to know anyone else who understands how to use the digitakt with a dmx interface?

Definitely subscribing to this. It’d be nice to figure out a good MIDI -> DMX solution for next halloween :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Should be definitely possible. I don’t know your gear, but lights could be controlled with a midi to dmx bridge, visuals could be controlled with diverse software like Resolume, Ableton Live with ZwoBotMax or other Max4Live modules. Also Puredata should work. There are a lot of options.

3 Likes

Carl Mikael of Cabinet of Curiosities fame has some cool videos about using the Digitone to control visuals in Max/Msp. While not quite what you want to do it might give some ideas to using the Digitakt as a remote modulation source.

10 Likes

from my experience the lighting guys either use crappy/crashy opensource GUI apps or propper lighting desks for several thousand bucks. Everything else is DIY with computers where you get a little hacky. The only out of the box solution I found right now is this: http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.org/raspberry-pi-midi-dmx-bridge … but it seems there is no documentation. I guess the easiest way would be indeed as suggested to use something like PureData. Unfortunately openlightingarchitecture OLA is not having a MiDi plugin.

There is also an iOS app called Luminair …but it’s 110€… and you’d have to get your MiDi into your network first and the DMX out of the iPad again (…that’s where ArtNet is handy).

Then if you want to make visuals anyway you might want to have a look at VDMX (macOS only) or MadMapper (win+macOS) which have both MiDi + DMX implemented. Best way to use this is to have an artnet node (ArtNet is DMX over ethernet) - so a raspberry pi with DMX out and ArtNet in or just use the Raspberry Pi directly with a few LED strips. This is not an easy topic… I tried to dive into this topic but the options out there are not too overwhelming but I might have missed something.

Just a few thoughts… maybe it helps.

6 Likes

I used the previous version of this many years ago: http://www.lanbox.com/lanbox-lcx-eu-model.html

A bit fiddly to set up… 15 years ago, but it can do midi to dmx

1 Like

Very interesting… Thank you!

This box… wow! Thank you! I’m definitely going to research this box more.

I’m not on my computer right now so I can’t get into detail, but you can trigger lights using an ENTTEC DMX USB PRO converter with a breakout cable and a software called QLC+. It’s Mac OS and Windows compatible, used that to control a full lighting rig on a tour some years ago. I would send midi messages from an SPD-SX to trigger lighting scenes but you could use Digitakt for that, you can program it to respond to midi notes.

4 Likes

You mean QLC+.

2 Likes

this is extremely intriguing

1 Like

That 2nd video made me a patreon for Carl Mikael!

1 Like

You’re absolutely right! Editing now… :slight_smile:

:heart:

Thanks for showing my work!

1 Like

:raised_hands::hamburger::beer:

Thanks! Welcome to the crew.

3 Likes

You’re an inspiration!

2 Likes

Have you already sent Elektron a feature request about having all trig/knob data being sent out via MIDI to make use of that for visuals/lighting etc.? This would be sooo nice, wouldn‘t it?

1 Like