Can the OT do this?

hey folks… parted with my OT a year ago… now the need arises again (it is not GAS I swear) :slight_smile:
so:

my A4 into the OT (stereo) … so the a4 gets 1 thru track … down to 7 tracks and 2 inputs left

a bass guitar player gets 1 input (1 input left) … I want to give the bass guitar fx and probably sample it, and pitch it up… so I guess 1 through track , down to 6 tracks and 1 track for resampling , down to 5 tracks.

the drummer with his electronic drum pad gets another input (no input left), so he will get a trough track, down to 5 tracks, I will probably not resample the drums.

there might be another e guitar player, who will go through my analog four input then ,

and to be realistic, I probably gonna resample the A4 for drone stuff so, down another track, makes 4 tracks left …
at the same time I want to record EVERYTHING, all our jam session…this is the question, can the OT just record everything the same way as I send it out to the main speakers? (headphone output) …lets assume YES, so down another track, leaves 3 …

then I like to have the 1 master track to control everything, down another track leaves 2 tracks…

question a) as mentioned above, can the OT record the whole orchestra, the same way I send it out to the main outs, or headphone?

question b) is there a flaw in my logic above so far?

question c) isn’t this the NICEST setup to really use the OT as a real workhorse ( and swear like an irish sailor when the OT breaks down)

question d) did I totally forget about neighbor tracks for fx ?

question e) was this a premature thread, and I should have resorted to pen and paper first?

man, I am pretty exited to get an OT again and really USE it for the above mentioned orchestra … last time I had it , I barely used all its functions, because I did not have a band :slight_smile:

The OT can probably mix everything in the way you’re describing, but if you’re sampling the various instruments then you are unlikely to have much RAM memory left to record the entire output. Why not record the output into your laptop?

You don’t need to dedicate a track to recording the output unless you plan on playing it back, remember the rec buffers are separate from the playback tracks! Only thing is that, as PH mentioned, there’s only around 5 minutes of flex time so unless everything is in static mode you might not have enough ram to record the whole jam. Best to strap a recording device to the cue outputs or the mixer.

For e rest of your points: all good, and yes, a very fun use for an OT :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The OT can probably mix everything in the way you’re describing, but if you’re sampling the various instruments then you are unlikely to have much RAM memory left to record the entire output. Why not record the output into your laptop?[/quote]
becaues i dotn have a laptop :slight_smile: … and when in jam session in the practice room, non of the other guys has a laptop either… we usually record into an external mic attached to a smartphone … thanks though…good point with the RAM :slight_smile:

totally forgot about RAM limitations… gotta look into those static things… iirc i actually never never used these … thanks man

Get yourself a digital recorder like a Tascam or Edirol. Pretty cheap 2nd hand and if you can use for field recording too.

1 Like

+1 for external recorder. I use old zoom h4n for recording all my performances, field recording, fx recording etc. Generally, there are hundreds situations when external recorder can help. It has two mics that allows to record stereo without connecting to the mixer. Or even record in 4-channel mode: two mics + line.

1 Like

totally forgot about RAM limitations… gotta look into those static things… iirc i actually never never used these … thanks man[/quote]

Static machines play samples from the CF card, just like flex machines play back samples from RAM. So you can play long samples using static machines, but you cannot record to CF card. The OT’s 85 MB RAM has to store not only samples in flex sample slots but also the recording buffers.

totally forgot about RAM limitations… gotta look into those static things… iirc i actually never never used these … thanks man[/quote]

Static machines play samples from the CF card, just like flex machines play back samples from RAM. So you can play long samples using static machines, but you cannot record to CF card. The OT’s 85 MB RAM has to store not only samples in flex sample slots but also the recording buffers.[/quote]
ooh, i was not aware of that! … u cannot record to cf card… what a weird sampler elektron made :slight_smile: no wrong smiley … :confused: that is better

Static machines play samples from the CF card, just like flex machines play back samples from RAM. So you can play long samples using static machines, but you cannot record to CF card. The OT’s 85 MB RAM has to store not only samples in flex sample slots but also the recording buffers.[/quote]
ooh, i was not aware of that! … u cannot record to cf card… what a weird sampler elektron made :slight_smile: no wrong smiley … :confused: that is better[/quote]
To be 100 % clear, you can save the contents of the recording buffer(s) to the CF card but the amount in the recording buffer is limited by the RAM allocation.

ooh, i was not aware of that! … u cannot record to cf card… what a weird sampler elektron made :slight_smile: no wrong smiley … :confused: that is better[/quote]
To be 100 % clear, you can save the contents of the recording buffer(s) to the CF card but the amount in the recording buffer is limited by the RAM allocation.[/quote]
thanks for clarification…

1 Like