Can the ot be perfectly synchronized with ableton?

It’s about controlling an external device with the elektron sequencer. CCs should also be controlled with the elektron sequencer.

I can’t decide between dt or ot. Both have a sample function, which isn’t a bad thing either.

It’s just important that it runs in sync with the track in ableton.

Which device would be better suited for this, the DT or OT?

I had both once, but I forgot how it went.

Ableton’s clock is shit, and USB-to-MIDI is unstable, timing wise. You’re likely to have better results with the Digitakt and Overbridge, than with an Octatrack and MIDI.

(Based on reading posts here, rather than experience)

2 Likes

But if I run rytm via OB in Ableton and the individual outputs of the machines via an audio interface, then it really runs perfectly.

Is it really that different with external devices on the OT or DT? I would like to add a north drum to the rytm.

So the ot or dt should only control midi and audio then runs via an audio interface.

1 Like

If you have an iOS device, I would suggest you sync the octa to AUM there and then use ableton link to sync to live… gives me better results (note, I don’t have the octatrack to test, but do this with other gear)

I did not know. It’s a shame that sync is still such a big topic.

I use the Midronome and get very tight results.

1 Like

CLOCKstep:MULTI is a product introduced within the past year that works between Ableton and external sequencers to provide tight “Sample Accurate” sync.

A 2-minute overview on how it works:

And then after that, depending on how you are monitoring your external sequencers (ie: back through an Ableton track), there could be a touch of latency in your audio interface even though the sync itself is rock solid. So there’s Latency Compensation in CS:M itself:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Ableton’s clock is definitely funky when run by external gear that’s not OB driven.
I would necessarily say it becomes completely stable, however after two bars of playback everything usually synchs up.
Considering Live properly treats incoming midi notes only when it’s running, it’s a good idea to start it up and just let it run.

There’s lots of gadgets out there you can get,
I just wanted to offer something free at first.

1 Like

Could run analogue sync from a Cue output into Ableton.

Obviously you’d be sacrificing a track and an output though.

I run 2 Macs, a Hapax and a Deluge that way and its all very tight. No extra gear needed.

F*ck MIDI clock. It’s terrible compared to audio sync!

4 Likes

Great idea, I never thought of just routing a click tracks.
Thanks for the hot tip!

3 Likes

This is my understanding of midi <> audio sync, appreciate any corrections or comments

To be perfectly in sync with a DAW you need sample accurate sync which is not possible with the OT but is possible with OB.

If your audio interface is running at 48 KHz, that is the sample rate which means it is reading from the input 48000 times a second.

Midi clock runs at a rate of 24 pulses per quarter note. So if you were playing a track at 60 bpm (ie 1 quarter note = 1 second), the clock signal is running at 24 ppqn * 60 qn = 1440 pulses a minute, and we get 1440 midi clock pulses/60 seconds = 24 Hz

Or at a more likely 120 bpm, there are 120 quarter notes a minute (1 quarter note = 0.5 seconds), the midi clock signal is sending 24 * 120 = 2880 pulses a minute, and 2880/60 secs = 48 Hz

48 Hz is 0.1% the resolution of an audio sample rate of 48 KHz, so even a very small, sub millisecond delay in a midi clock signal will throw things out of sync.

I think with something like the OT, which does a lot, these little delays in sync will happen, which is why it’s not that stable.

The internal sequencer of the OT does run at a faster rate than 24 ppqn, but still nothing like audio rates.

I’m guessing Overbridge can provide sample accurate clock rates to the devices that support it, because those devices have whatever hardware is required to run off a much faster sync signal.

3 Likes

Seems accurate to me!

I’ll add that also MIDI is often sending notes, CC, PC, down the same cable as the clock. It can be running okay, then you send too much data and it messes up.

Looking forward to MIDI 2.0 solving all this shit :smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

My latest quest is getting the Drambo programmer to implement audio sync-in. He seemed interested in doing it!

Then MIDI clock will be almost totally eliminated from my setup!

2 Likes