Can I use USB to connect my syntakt and external MIDI keyboard?

Hi, i use digitakt, syntakt, digitone and another digitone and Analog Heat MK2 spontaneously for production as well as performance.

Can i use my midi keyboard to control my syntakt via USB?

Hi. Not without a host device.

If it’s class compliant and you have a USB host then probably yes.

Something like these, or a computer in between. Standalone which is what I think you’re asking about, I’m pretty sure the answer is no.

1 Like

oh ok thank you. then i must use MIDI into Digitakt (master clock) then set it up to reach my syntakt or/and digitone/s?

thank you for the response.

best

Your keyboard only has a USB? No DIN midi, correct?

Or does it have normal midi as well and you are just curious about using it via USB?

1 Like

it only has USB…i ordered it last night no Din at all.

Nektar SE49 USB MIDI Controller.

Ok well, there are a number of brands that make the host devices, the Kenton is better quality and probably more reliable, but it’s also quite a bit more expensive probably around $120 to $140 USD.

I own the second model which is the cheaper type made by doremidi, I paid about $40 USD and it works fine for the purposes of using a USB midi controller into a DIN only midi device, that’s what I usually use it for.

As far as the controller is concerned, make sure it’s class compliant before you buy one of these, but if it’s modern then it should be.

2 Likes

The SE49 is USB class compliant. So if you want to use it with Elektron devices, you’d need to pipe it through a host and then all your other midi set up would be as expected using standard routing with channels etc.

I mean the signal will pass through the first device into the others if you set it up correctly.

1 Like

ok. got ya. thank you so much.
very much appreciate your advice.

best

joy

1 Like

No worries, enjoy your keyboard.

1 Like