Can I attach a midi keyboard to Model:Samples?

It’s not a CC - it’s a system real-time message, no channels, no settings, just a command called Start (or Stop)

https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-1-summary-of-midi-message

0xFA in Hex - the controlling device is where you need to look for compatibility, it will be obvious in its text labelling if not in Hex

Do you know how to send it from Midi-OX ?*

The Arturia MiniLab MkII appears not to be able to send the required messages (Start, Stop, Continue).

MiniLab sends it but under a SYSEX form : F0 7F 7F 06 02 F7
Looking for a way to send 0xFA if its the real thing to send for play.

It would be nice if Model:Sample would accept the SYSEX form which seems to have been adopted by many…

EDIT because I reached the limit on message number on 1st day:

It seems that the SYSEX message is the normal form for MMC Play/Stop
Problem must be in the Device ID equal to 7F (All devices) used by Arturia?
0xF0 0x7F deviceID 0x06 0xF7 ???

Model:Sample does not answer to this message.
Disappointed, I still need to press play/stop on it where all the other parameters can be midi controlled :frowning:

I just discovered that when you change some PARAMETER with midi CC, the display is not activated to show the changes, it works silently… would have prefered to see the changes but it’s minor because most of the time you can press a note and hear.

The Midi Out / Thru issue is such a bummer. Not being able to trigger (hear) an external piece of gear from say a Keystep while recording the midi to the sequencer is a major flaw for my setup. Any ideas on a work around?

Yeah, I hear you. For the Keystep specifically, the workaround is easy - just record the sequence into the Keystep’s sequencer (while in MIDI Thru mode). Once done, you can ‘teach’ the Model:Samples the sequence from the Keystep (live record on the M:S, play on the Keystep).

For some other MIDI controller that doesn’t have a built-in sequencer, there is no real workaround. Generally what I would do is just create a sequence using an internal sample on the M:S, then send that sequence out to the external piece of gear. If you use a sample that sounds somewhat like the external piece of gear, it should be workable.

That is a good solution. I think my main issue is that I hate the Keystep sequencer haha. I’m much more of a visual step sequencer kinda guy. I should pick up a Beatstep or BSP and use that.

Any chance you could further explain the midi settings on both machines? No matter what I try, I can’t get the Keystep to sync with MS? Thanks in advance…

Yes.
Please note, you can input notes into the sequencer from a midi keyboard in the real time recording mode, but if you’re in the step edit mode and you hold down a step, then play a note on the keyboard, it will not change the note. You will need to use the orange knob to change the note. Slightly inconvenient. Hope they fix this in a future OS update.

This might be kind of irrelevant to your question but I don’t care lol

I have a KeyStep coming tomorrow, so I’ve been reviewing and digesting this thread - I think I get it. The KeyStep isn’t necessarily for the Model:Samples - I’m interested in using it with a few of my Volcas and Roland SH-01A also. But as noted in this thread, you could do pretty well with the M:S as a monophonic instrument (or 6!) with Single-Cycle Waveforms and melodic samples.

It is a bummer that you can’t use a keyboard to change the pitch on the sequencer in Step Edit mode. Is there no way to preview the sample while turning the Orange knob to change the pitch? Some step sequencers definitely have that feature. I’m aware that the display tells you what note it’s supposed to be, but sometimes I need to just hear it out loud, and I find it hard to fix individual notes “on the fly”. Particularly when you get more than 16 steps in your sequence and are dealing with multiple “pages”.

Question about using KeyStep with M:S and other devices - wouldn’t the M:S occupy Channels 1 through 6 then? My understanding is that you can just switch between those channels on KeyStep to play one of the 6 tracks/samples. So wouldn’t a separate device (Volca FM, etc.) need to be on Channel 7? Otherwise you’d be stacking sounds.

Super Newb M:S here… Maybe this will help. I have the exact same set up. M:S, Keystep, Volca Keys, (&PO-12) The way I use mine so far (as in a few weeks) channel 1-6 are set to M:S. I set midi channel 7 on the Keystep. (here’s the tip) You have to set the Volca to midi track 7. Turn off the volca. Turn back on while holding down the “write” button. Choose midi track 7. Hit “write” again to confirm. Then Volca is on channel 7 and you won’t have conflicting sounds. Hope this helps.

Excellent, thanks for sharing that setup. I’ve had a variety of small MIDI keyboards before, but am excited to try out the KeyStep. The combination of the easy channel switching, sequencer/arppegiator, and 5-pin DIN MIDI/CV connections just make it seem like the perfect compact controller for the M:S and other synths/modules.

I hope you enjoy it! I just love the setup so far… Oh one more thing I should mention. I am using a Midi Solutions Quadra Thru. I imagine you are hip to it. Cheers

Yep! I have the exact same splitter. I actually bought it to use multiple Volcas at one time, but it’s kind of sat for awhile unused. Dusting it off now as I’m getting interested in hardware again.

The M:S has MIDI thru, but I was going to experiment with different setups using MIDI thru versus the Quadra Thru splitter (I think it may change the behavior of the sequencer or something)

Quarantine has left me home alone so I purchased a M:Samples, Keystep and 104HP modular rig (Mostly Mutable Instrument stuff).

I am now trying to wrap my mind around connecting the Keystep to the Model Samples and Eurorack.

I understand the V/OCT and Gate for modular but don’t get the “Sync In or MIDI channels” mentioned above.

Could you all describe the best connection arrangement?

Sorry for the newbie question- thanks in advance for reading and taking the time!

There are multiple ways to route these things. The best way really depends on what you’re hoping to achieve.

Here’s something you could try, though:

1. MS -> KeyStep via MIDI.

2. KeyStep -> Eurorack via CV.

You would be leveraging the power of the sequencer on the MS and using KeyStep as a MIDI to CV converter.

Did you connect through USB? I am trying to connect my komplete keyboard and the komplete does not boot up. Thw things is that the keyboard powers up from the usb. Realy need to get some guidance here.

My settings are
Inp from usb
Out to MID (for the ES1)
Out pol STD
Out/thru OUT

I don’t know how your Komplete Keyboard works (i don’t have one) but i guess it’s the same.

• Try to to power your Komplete Keyboard through an AC adapter
  • Komplete Keyboard’s midi out to Model:Samples midi in
  • In the midi settings of your Model:Samples, set Auto In to channel 1
  • In the midi settings of your Komplete Keyboard, set midi out to channel 1 or omni

Now select Track 1 on your Model:Samples and play notes with your keyboard. Select Track 2 and play notes with your keyboard, etc…

So in step rec u cannot press a step and choose with the midi keyboard the note by pressing the key?