Can anyone vouch for Elektron's sample packs? (California Drums)

Hey guys,

I’m just after some good quality samples for the new Digitakt and the California Drums pack seems like it would be ideal. Transistor Skins looks good too.

Problem is they only have 3 comments and I can’t find any reviews online! I’m a bit cautious to drop £30 without a second opinion.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Both of those packs have demos with 20-25 samples included, you could give those a go?

1 Like

I’ve already tried them out, I was just trying to get a better idea of people’s general thoughts on the entire packs.

25 demo sounds isn’t many out of 600 samples.

Fwiw, I’ve only ever bought Utility Kicks, and now I only design my own kicks for fun. I don’t think I’ll ever really need another kick drum sample. So that’s to say, my limited experience with them has been great.

1 Like

I always said to myself, dont buy a drumpack. There is enough for free. But last week I bought the 2323 drumpack because I wanted to have some good basic samples. I loaded them into my digitakt and in the Rytm. They are great and really good quality. Never bought any samples, but I am glad I did. Now I have a good quality basic pakkage!

1 Like

I mainly use my own library that I built up over 18 years but must admit that I bought the 2323 drum pack. It’s really nice!

I skipped the 2323 pack, because I already got the 808 and 909 packs that were released for the Rytm, and they sound great in the Digitakt. The 808 and 909 packs are from Goldbaby, but the 2323 is from Samples From Mars - I have bought sample packs from Goldbaby and SFM, including the awesome TSSD from Goldbaby.

But I got the California Drums one, because I wasn’t happy with the Linndrum and DX samples I had, and I think it delivers in spades - well recorded and lots of choices. A little spendy, but you get 600+ one-shots.

i would suggest grab the free sample pack, cherry-pick the best dozen and go from there.

1 Like

Yeah- it’s important to note that the packs you have to pay for, as far as I understand, are not from Elektron- if you look through the description of the one you’re interested in the name of the creator of the pack. Take that name, research their other stuff- see if there are forums that attest to their quality.

I’ve heard good things from Goldbaby, but never purchased any of their stuff

I bought the California Drums. First off it’s a rather large pack of samples, including a pretty large list of all kinds of samples hits, bass, effects and so on. So it’s a tad more self-contained than just a drum pack. There’s also tons of basic percussion, kicks, snares, hats and so on.

Secondly the way the recorded it through a preamp and a little bit of Elektron Heat gives the samples a pretty gritty character. I myself love it, I think it really brings out the punchiness and snappiness hidden in couple of the clickier, thinner machines they sampled. But it might not be for everyone. If you want to make super slick turbo hifi faux 80s music then it might not be for you.