Calibration of scene crossfader?

Thanks to @tnussb for directing me to this thread :slight_smile:
I did enter test mode and did what @Accent recommended…
At first, the xfader was giving me a green trig on 14 and 1 > REVERSED.
Rebooted, re-entered test mode and did the same, this time with scene A.
And VOILA :slight_smile:
Thank you guys. A LOT

2 Likes

OK, here is my crossfader and calibration attempt. On the scene a trig 9 lights up, and the calibration doesn’t help. Do I need to change the fader?

Good idea !
I did it with a midi processor, mapping scenes depending on crossfader position. 4 areas with 2 scenes per zone iirc…
I didn’t experimented more since. Very efficient. But depending on midi loopback with a midi processor, which I wouldn’t use everyday !

That sounds great, I’m not sure where recalibrating the crossfader incorrectly on purpose comes in or how exactly you changed it from normal calibration, but it works!

I was just thinking of stuff like recalibrating it with the maximim value only a few millimeters away from the minimum value on its throw, so you could do DJ-like quick cuts, but the problem is you can’t really recalibrate it live so you’d probably have to commit to using it that way for an entire set. I guess the logical answer to that is get another Octatrack.

1 Like

In the video I used midi processing.

In test mode I gave a try to calibration abuse but it didn’t seem to work. I only got inversion putting it on left (A) first.

Ah well. I guess I’m not too surprised, the optical sensor probably doesn’t work right if it isn’t at least looking for the entire length of that strip that it uses to determine where it is.

Even if it worked I wouldn’t personally have any use for it so I never tried.

That isn’t really an useful idea, because you can already do it by just leaving the crossfader on one side and switch the scene on this side to another one (== instant change with no need to move the crossfader at all).

Yeah, I mentioned that in my post and do it a lot, but being able to condense the range of the crossfader down to 20% or so of the fader throw would be really useful for some stuff that you can’t really do with buttons, especially with only one hand unles syou use that magnet trick on the scene button (and a quick fade sounds different than a hard cut).

Can’t do this with buttons.

Can’t do it with an Octatrack in general, but you know what I mean.

1 Like

Something like this would probably be the best option for nonlinear crossfade curves, but this is the only one I’m aware of and it’s Bluetooth-only so you’d need some kind of host for it and even if you could get the advertised 5ms latency, 5ms is starting to really push the upper limit of what’s OK for a performance controller that needs to respond quickly, IMO. I measured the latency of the longest path between the master clock and a piece of hardware in my setup. The chain was Octatrack -> Liven 8bit Warps -> MOTU Midi Timepiece II, out to a second MIDI Timepiece II, to a Midibox SEQ V4, to a Digital Music Corp MX-8 MIDI patchbay, to a synth - the longest path MIDI clock could possibly take in my studio - and the latency was a little under 5.5ms, which was more than enough to be pretty obvious with a click, where it was noticeably behind the Octatrack. If you’re lisening on speakers you have to add another 3ms or so per meter between you and the speakers, plus whatever latency is added by any digital hardware you might be running the OT’s output through, and you’re probably monitoring through your audio interface even if you work DAWless so that’s a few more milliseconds. It adds up fast.