Cabling issue/question

Hi, i have an analog rytm, analog four, teenage engineering op-1, a boss rc505 loopstation and a soundcraft signature 12-channel mixer.

Van anyone recommend me a good way for cabling these to a good setup?

I am very new to this.

Thanks beforehand and best regards,
Olivier

Firstly have a good read of the manual if you’ve got one just so you can get your head around the routing options the mixer gives you. Read up on subgroups and aux busses. It’ll stand you in good stead👍

For a start you could simply route the outputs of your gear to the inputs of the mixer channels. Stereo sources across two channels with the left hand output channel panned hard left and the same for the right hand channel. Have a look in the mixer manual for how to set your PFL level. It’s dead easy, you’ll want to do that for the best signal to noise ratio.

As far as the loop station goes that will depend on your workflow. Are you looking to send everything through it or just select bits? Or are you routing other stuff like guitars through it? That stuff will dictate where you want it in the signal path and what you want to do with its outputs.

You could use the aux send to route audio to the RC, that way you can control how much of each input channel source you send to the aux outputs. Just be aware of feedback loops.

Welcome to the forum BTW!:joy:

3 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the info.

For now I have all routed to the loopstation, which on its turn I have connected to the mixer (left and right channel).

Connected the midi out (sync A) of the AR to the midi in of the A4. Then main out of the AR to input of the loopstation. The main out of the A4 to the Ext in of the AR. The op-1 out (aux) is directly linked to the loopstation (aux).

Just not sure whether this was the right way to do so… My intention was to link it all to the loopstation, but not even sure whether this makes sense. Especially for the AR and A4.

Am really a newbie, so not even have a specific workflow (getting to know the different machines). Was hoping to get some info/suggestions on workflow and the right connection of cables for that workflow to work.

Thanks again and best regards,
Olivier

I’d plug everything into the mixer giving each gear it’s own mixer channels, in pairs (L&R panned) then fire the aux into the loop station and run that along with your Elektron sequencers. Anything can be fed into the RC505, just have fun experimenting ,then combine the loops with sequencers from your synths. The op1 is great for feeding a looper and as its portable can be used away from your setup ,then fed back in later.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

You mean plug the AR and A4 separately into the mixer (both from their main out)? Should i still sync them from AR midi out to A4 midi in? And also from A4 midi out to loopstation midi in? Then the AUX out from the mixer to the stereo in of the loopstation, right?

The op-1 can stay directly connected through the aux in of the loopstation…

I also have a pioneer dj400 dj controller. Should i run that directly to the speakers? Is it possible to have both the loopstation and dj cotroller run to the speakers (have an xlr in and jack in)

Seems like a lot to learn :wink:

Thanks again for the help and best regards,
Olivier

Your midi routing and audio routing are completely independent. You can sync your stuff however you like (well, in the order you need for everything to work!) and send audio wherever you want.

My idea of feeding the loop station input from the aux bus is that with an aux you can send any amount of signal from any channel to the bus. that way you’ll have independent control of the channel level and the amount going to the loop station. I’d plug all my inputs into the desk (A4 on two channels, AR on two channels with the option to send individual outs to separate mixer channels and the OP 1 into two channels) that way you’ve got complete control of all your outputs and you can set up a sub mix via the channel aux sends as well as having your main mix. It means you can send just one source or a mix of sources to the loopstation and then change what you send for the next part with your sub mix. It’s all about flexibility. Why compromise that flexibility by plugging directly into the loopstation when you’ve got a lovely mixer with longer faders and more routing options!

I’d plug my monitors into the control room output or whatever it’s called on your desk. Plug the loopstation output into another pair of channels then you should be able to use the pre fade aux send to route channel audio to the aux bus. If you turn down the fader for the channel and turn up the channel for the loopstation you should hear the signal back via the loopstation output. Turn up the aux send of that channel and you’ll hear it get louder at the RC output. Repeat for your other channels. Obviously don’t send any of the RC channel aux to the bus else you’ll, get a feedback loop. So know you should be monitoring the mix of what the RC will record when you hit the pedal. Don’t forget if you’re not sendin* stuff to the RC you just turn down that’s channels aux send and push up its fader. Now you’re mixing those channels with the output of the RC. So for example you might have the AR playing on ch 1&2 with nothing going to the RC. Ch 3&4 are A4 and have faders down and auxs turned up so they’re hitting the RC. The RC faders are up and auxes down. You can now record a loop on the RC of A4 sounds while the AR is happily keeping the beat going.

This is just one example. You can set up your routing however works best for you and how you find your workflow evolving. No one can tell you how to do that bit but the beauty of having the mixer is you get that flexibility.

If I was you I’d have a good read of the manual for your mixer. Learn what you can do with pre and post fade auxes, sub groups/mixes etc. It’s really not complicated; if you can read and can follow a line on a diagram you can see it. Once you understand what you can do then you can decide how best to set up so you can do everything you want to.

1 Like

Hi Bunker,

Thanks again for all the info…

Going to try it out tomorrow after having a better look at the manual.

Thanks again and best regards,
Olivier

1 Like

I didn’t mean it as a dig btw! :grinning:

Mixers are a fantastic tool and getting to know your own mixer and it’s possibilities is key to getting the best out of it. The connection diagrams or suggestions in the manuals for your other gear will make more sense too!